1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Headset mic recording sounds through headset?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by fumetsu, Oct 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fumetsu

fumetsu Thread Starter

I've searched around a lot about this topic, but after hours and days of searching, I've found nothing to fix my problem. I have a headset that has speakers and a microphone (3.5mm jacks) that work fine, except when I'm trying to talk to someone using the microphone, they can hear the sounds coming from my headset (youtube videos, game sounds etc). I've tried installing the Realtek HD Audio Codec but it disappears after it finishes installing and after I restart (although it still remains in the Programs and Features uninstall page), the program files for it is empty with the exception of RtlUpd64.exe which doesn't do anything when executed and a few other files.
    In device manager, the things I have under sound, video and game controllers are Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus and the Intel Display Audio. I've updated everything to the latest. Also, I recently system restored my computer and before I did I had IDT High Definition Audio Drivers, but after updating they were changed.
    I think the problem is that stereo mix is enabled somewhere or something to do with my drivers as when I tried plugging my headset into my brother's computer, it worked fine (he has the Gigabyte Realtek Audio Manager thing and was able to adjust the stereo mix settings).
    If there's a program or workaround to this, or how to disable the stereo mix like through registry or something, please let me know.
    My computer is a HP Pavilion dv6-7040tx running Windows 10.

Thank you in advanced, any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You are correct, that is the usual cause of this problem. And aside from being set in the drivers, it can sometimes be set in the application (used for the communication).

That model does appear to use the IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio chipset. The problem is likely in the fact that you upgraded to Win10 and I don't see that HP supports nor supplies drivers for Win10 (I only see drivers for 7 and 8). Which means you are using generic drives supplied by Windows. The generic Windows drivers often work well enough to get hardware functional, but quite often don't support all hardware or all features of all hardware.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1179549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice