1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hearing eight hi-pitched beeps constantly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wilrib, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wilrib

wilrib Thread Starter

I have a two-year-old Dell Inspiron 14z laptop on Windows 8.1 and Mozilla Firefox. A few days ago, I started having the following problems: 1) extremely slow startup, accompanied by a very fuzzy screen, with four Dell logos appearing. 2) Eight high-pitched beeps sounding constantly.

My son has defragged the hard drive, run a virus scan, and deleted temporary internet files, but the problem continues. I will appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you in advance.

Bill

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That is a display panel problem. It may be the screen or the cable.
    Hold D and reboot for the Dell diagnostics.

I would remove the keyboard and check that the cable is plugged in correctly.

3. valis

valis Moderator

is it D, or is it fn+boot?

4. DaveBurnett

I think it is D for the panel test, but I'm only repeating others since I've never tried it on my old Dell lump.

5. valis

valis Moderator

With Dell, I've always know it to be fn+boot, but who knows if they've changed it......thanks Dave.

6. wilrib

wilrib Thread Starter

I have no idea what Dave Burnett means by either "hold D" or "reboot for the Dell diagnostics." Also, how do I remove the keyboard? What is "fn+boot"? I'm assuming fn is the function key.

7. valis

valis Moderator

yes, fn is the function key. Dell laptops have as diagnostic boot option; I know it as with the power off, hold the fn key down and press the power on button. This should bring up the dell diag boot, follow the prompts and let us know if it fails at any place.

thanks,

v

8. DaveBurnett

I would imagine it is in the manual!! It is in mine for my machine.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice