1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hearing hard drive activity when idle

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by janlafata, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

I have Windows 7 x64 and a Western Digital hard drive. I don't know if this has been going on for awhile or not or if I just ever noticed it, but even when my system is completely idle, with no programs open or anything, I hear the hard drive write head for about 10 seconds or so, then it's gone. Then it will do it again after awhile. It's really only noticeable because the drive is a WD, and WD's have a little noisier drive.

Anti-virus and spyware scans have not turned up anything but after doing some research on this issue, many people feel it could just be services or processes running or the anti-virus. I do have indexing disabled and the defrag is set on manual. I guess it could be some other sort of unknown process going on though in task scheduler, I don't know.

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

its most likely defragging files in the background, it does that you know ;)

3. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

Well I'm using Perfect Disk though and it's set to completely manual. Also the "Disk Defrag" service is set to manual

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Does that drive have the SWAP file on it???

5. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

Yes the paging file (same as the swap right?) is on my C drive. I have three partitions on the drive also.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

The chances are that the disk activity is the system writing a portion of memory to the paging file.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice