1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Heart Broken, Brain Fried

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Madhavi, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Madhavi

Madhavi Thread Starter

4Comic Sans MSBlack
    I use MS Word... or it uses me... Wrote some chapters to a book, saved them to floppy disk after each writing session. Went back to Word, chapters were not automatically saved but didn't know that at the time and overwrote to floppy. Is there any way I can retrieve the overwritten files from the floppy? I'd really appreciate any help. I've spent days on those chapters.
    Madhavi :(

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It is unlikely.
    Like writing to any disk, the data itself is not necessarily overwritten. But in the case of a floppy disk there is so little space that is probable that is has.
    You should think about using several disks and rotating them.

3. tbritches

tbritches

A word of advice: Do not save directly to a floppy drive. Instead, save to the hard drive then copy to the floppy. It can prevent a lot of problems. Of course, floppies themselves are not the greatest media for saving your work. They are subject to too much failure.

4. Madhavi

Madhavi Thread Starter

Duh! What are the best media for saving work? At this point, I don't have a clue... actually, before I lost the work I did't have a clue. Now I'm trying to get one. Thanks for your time.

5. Madhavi

Madhavi Thread Starter

... for taking the time to answer my post. I really DON'T know very much, at all, about computers... unless its about playing The Sims... and even then I need help, from time to time. I noticed a floppy recovery add on a banner here so I'm gonna take a look at the demo. The entire file is 370kbs, and I don't even know if that's too large to retrieve. See what I mean? Computer challenged.
    Thanks again. :rolleyes:

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    LOL!

Madhavi: I will say this. Sending yourself an email with your files attached is safer than saving the files to a floppy. Go to ebay and buy yourself (some will even give you the invitation if you simply "ask seller a question" and you don't have to pay for it!) a GMail invitation. This will get you a 1GB email account. When you want to back up your files, just email them to yourself!

Of course---never delete your gmail then...

7. Madhavi

Madhavi Thread Starter

Thank you so much. I'm off to do just that... hopefully I won't delete myself from ebay... don't laugh. I'm the little engine that could... run out of track :(

8. tbritches

tbritches

The better idea is to save any important work in more than one place. Start with your local hard drive (unless you are using a public access computer). Burning to a high-quality CD is good. One thing I do is to copy the important work onto a SB drive and transfer it to another computer. As Dreamboat says, e-mail it to yourself. Odds are that it will be saved on a server which will be remote from your location.

9. Madhavi

Madhavi Thread Starter

Thanks,tbritches. If i knew what an SB drive is and had another computer, I would probably do just that. (sigh) I did email the latest version of the manuscript to myself, however. Isn't there any way I can retrieve a history of what I've written from the hard drive? I know I'm grasping for straws here. I tried to use the floppy retrieval d/l but it doesn't retrieve what was under an overwrite before you overwrote it. Gosh, I can't even follow my own train of thought. Yep, the little engine that could is derailing just about now... byes

10. tbritches

tbritches

SB drive: a typo on my part. It should have been USB drive, some times called a pen drive. It is a small device which plugs into a USB port and is a removable drive. It is meant as a way of transfering files from one computer to another.

I believe that there are companies out there which might possibly try to recover your data, but you would be charged $$$$, and they would make no guarantee of recovery.

11. pepsXp

pepsXp

Madhavi,
    simple hint for MS word, instead of using the "save" button use the "Save as" button, specially if you want to save different edited versions of the same project. The "save as" button will allow you to save the file wherever you want and with whaatever name you want... just remember you want different names for different versions... What happened to you has happened to me multiple times... computers are... ehem... evil (I cant say that too loud, I'm working own one)... and you have to pay attention to what you are doing.

12. trickyt

trickyt

Here are a few more ideas.. If you are using Word, set the automatic backup to "on". Save multiple versions of your file by doing "Save file as" and then adding the date to the file name. Use the Windows Backup utilitiy to make copies of your data. Copy your my documents folder to a CD Rom as often as you like, but make sure to write a date on your CD Rom, so you don't retrieve the wrong one. Upload all your files to a free WebPage site, like those you can get from www.geocities.com, Email the file to your Hotmail address (They now give you 250MB of space) etc etc etc.

But lets get back to practicalities. It sounds like you are not computer literate. So there is every chance you have a version of your files knocking around on your hard disk. Try running a SEARCH (click Start then Search) to look for the file using just part of its name. Or look for all files ending in "doc" (Search for "*.doc").

Lastly there may be a temporary version of the file on your hard drive. Look for a file with a name something like "~WRL0003.TMP" (Do a hard drive search for all files ending in "TMP" (Search for "*.TMP". Good Luck!

13. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Good stuff, trickyt. :)

14. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

yah the media of today is usb pen drives. save you work to the pendrive.
    best idea is what they said to save the files to the harddrive and then whenever you want to move them put them on your removable storage and go. then just sync it when you get back home.
    for what you are doing (word files) just get the cheapest ones. never put anything near a magnet b/c it will ruin ur pen drive. i also like secure digital cards e.g by people like sandisk.

15. pepsXp

pepsXp

Talking about removable drives, what do you guys think about ZIP drives? As a college student they came in much handier than floppy disks because of the storage space. But other than the academic world, it doesnt seem to me that they have caught on, people seem to prefer CD Roms...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice