Heat sink and cooling fan

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xyxex_kayn

For some i know this is a simple, probably a no brainer. But its a question i need an answer to. I have had to put new thermal compound on my processor due to overheating problem. ive done that and mounted the heat sink, my little problem comes with remounting the cooling fan. Which way should the air flow go? In toward the fins of heat sink or away from heat sink?

xyxex_kayn said:
For some i know this is a simple, probably a no brainer. But its a question i need an answer to. I have had to put new thermal compound on my processor due to overheating problem. ive done that and mounted the heat sink, my little problem comes with remounting the cooling fan. Which way should the air flow go? In toward the fins of heat sink or away from heat sink?
in towards the cpu

Brite is correct. The air should blow TOWARDS the processor (down through the heatsink).

brite750 said:
http://www.overclock.net/intel-air-cooling/66155-stock-cpu-fan-air-flow-direction.html

a much debated topic, if you look at a stock cpu fan the label side up gives you flow towards the cpu so thats what i use, i feel that was the design intent of the cpu maker
Every new sink I have ever bought which is quite a few, the fan blows into the fins. I have seen the debate myself. I have never tested it in the "away" mode. I just figured the makers knew what they were doing.

xyxex_kayn

thanks everyone for the help, i installed with fan blow away from heat sink and so far is doing ok with sides of computer off, but will reverse the fan and see if there is a differnce

something called turbulant flow helps improve heat transfer, so maybe blowing into the fins causes more of this effect. A cpu fan doesnt have much velocity really so pulling air through the fans probably doesnt cause much turbulant flow. However i wouldnt be that surprised if there wasnt all that much difference

Here is a pic of a heatsink in a machine I took as trade in 2 years ago.

The fan was pulling air through the heatsink and not only was it pulling air, it was pulling all the dust in the case. The heatsink was completely emcompassed with a solid blanket of dust.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online