Heat sink compound Yes or No?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Glotsalot

What is the thinking nowadays on using heat sink compound? I've read some books which say that it's absolutely required (don't even think about not using it), but I've seen some recently who don't recommend it. Notably David Risley in his "Build your own PC" article on pcmech.com.

Any opinions? ;)

Use it or not?

good heatsink compound(arctic silver)...yes.

cheap stuff...no..use the pad that comes with the chip....you have to have something though.

edit...

heatsink compound is required because the chips are not totally smooth which means you get reduced contact and therefore reduced heat transfer due to airgaps..

the compound fills in the little airgaps.

I agree with JT. With the heat generated in the chips today it is necessary to transfer as much as possible to the heatsink in order to keep the cpu within the allowable temperature range. Use a good quality compound and follow the instructions closely. Too much can cause a problem also.

As a general observation I would use silver compound if I were building an Athlon system and likely just go with the pad with a P4. People seldom have heat issues with a P4 unless they have poor case cooling.

I've always wandered if it where okay to use silver compound with an OLD pad from a used heatsink. I've always cleaned them of with a razor blade.

You have to replace an old pad after you remove it. So you can use any pad or compound you choose once you clean both surfaces. Arctic Silver is the best but pricier.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online