1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Heatsink fan making grinding noise, help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MHYoshimitzu, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MHYoshimitzu

MHYoshimitzu Thread Starter

Hi guys (and gals). I posted here a while back and tried to get help with my computer, which kept freezing. The guys who helped me tried every single thing they could think of to try and fix my problem, but to no avail. The only thing the problem could be was a hardware problem, and paying for a new motherboard for a four year old system would have been a waste of money. Nevertheless, I appreciated the help and kindness the forums gave while I troubleshooted my computer. That's why I'm coming here again asking for help. Hopefully this time there will be a happy ending.

In June, with my own saved money, I purchased a new computer. The specs are here:

-ASUS A8V-E Deluxe Socket 939 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    -CHAINTECH SE6600G Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
    -AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3500ASBOX - Retail
    -CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model VS1GB400C3 - Retail
    -Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JD 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
    -Windows XP with Service Pack 2

I put everything together and initially it all worked, however recently the fan which is attached to the heatsink has begun making a very distinct grinding noise upon booting my computer. Waiting until Windows boots seems to sometimes fix the problem, and taking off the case to press against the heatsink seemed to stop it for a small period, however as of two weeks ago the grinding sound returned. This time, I was met with this message at the boot up screen:

*****WARNING: System BOOT Fail*****
    Your system maybe Overclock fail or POST interrupted.
    Please enter setup to load default and reboot again.

Funny thing is, I never overclocked my processor. What exactly is wrong with my computer, and how can I go about fixing it?

Thanks,

-Jeff Craven

2. ClubMan

ClubMan

Is this post in another thread of any use to you? It may be that the fan is not working correctly in terms of cooling the part (CPU or chipset - not sure which?) and the part is overheating causing the problems. Perhaps you need to reseat or replace the fan and/or heatsink?

3. MHYoshimitzu

Now that I think about it, it seems like it could be the small fan under the heatsink on the motherboard that is making the grinding sound. I will try and clean it out to see what happens.

4. MHYoshimitzu

Okay, so the problem turned out to be the ASUS fan under my heatsink. I actually went to CompUSA to get a new heatsink since I thought that was the problem. Obviously it wasn't, but I got a free heatsink because my dad bought it. >_> I'm going to contact ASUS tomorrow and see if they can send me a new one. Thanks for all your help, guys!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/413629

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice