1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Heatsink Install Gone Wrong?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcnaryxc, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcnaryxc

mcnaryxc Thread Starter

I just helped my friend install a huge brand new heatsink in his Dell Dimension 4600 and at first, we got RAM install errors. But after fixing those slowly, we stumbled upon another problem. The video card, an AGP Geforce 5500, was being tempermental. We would see the boot screens, the XP boot screen, and get to the desktop. But after about five minutes, the screen would go blank and lose signal and never regain it. We thought it was a loose connection of the cord to the screen, but it wasn't. We thought it was a bad insert and took out the video card and blew out some dust, but still no improvement. So, we put in a Geforce 5200 that we had lieing around and now its doing better. Anyone know what the problem could be and how to fix it? Thanks.

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

Do you know what temperature your cpu is? Perhaps a poor connect to the heatsink has resulted in a hot cpu?

3. Compiler

Compiler

Is it working perfectly with the 5200?

Might have static discharged the video card and or system. Or bumped something.

4. mcnaryxc

mcnaryxc Thread Starter

I don't think its the heatsink I installed because it boots fine and the computer doesn't shut down or even feel hot at all. Ya, my friend says that the 5200 works great other than once, it did the same thing. He also told me that while he was packing some of the power cables inside, he had one touch the new fan attached to the heatsink and the fan on the heatsink stopped working....like it was grounding out. You think this could be related to something?

5. Compiler

Compiler

Hinksinks don't stop working - non moving parts. Having a powercable or other touch a spinngin fan happens from time to time - usual result is the cable is knocked out of the way and a scary noise for a few seconds. Then adjust the cables.

Adusting position of POWER and DATA cables inside a case SHOULD BE DONE WITH THE POWER OFF and the USER GROUNDED (touch the PSU from time to time, but don't unplug the PSU from the wall outlet).

He needs to check for cable damage... there shouldn't be any thou.

Why install a HUGE HSF on the Dell? They tend to not have a FAN as they use the rear case fan to pull air across the Heatsink. Since there is no OCing of dells - what they include is fine... unless the enviroment (hot) is effecting the PC.

6. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Sounds like a common syptom of overheating. Rather than downloading tools, just simply get a fan and place it directly into your computer case, do this whilst playing on a game that is demanding. Whilst doing so, check your GPU temperature by using the utility you get with the drivers.

7. mcnaryxc

mcnaryxc Thread Starter

The reason for installing the heatsink was because the Dell was overheating after 30 minutes, no matter if it was extreme gaming like Counter Strike Source or just surfing the web with IE. It has a P4 2.8ghz w/HT socket 478 and the heatsink it was using wasn't cutting it. It would die in 3dmark and random times after being worked hard. I just want to know if its either the video card we had or the mobo freaking out. Day 2 after the surgury and the 5200 is working great but the 5500 still won't work. But, that ONE single time the 5200 did the same thing as the 5500, it made me think the mobo got a little shock somewhere. Although, the 5200 hasn't had problems since he installed new drivers. You think drivers could do that? I kept getting the feeling like the video card was overheating, but the fan on it was spinning. I don't know! :confused:

8. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

You might want to try what i said above ;)

9. mcnaryxc

mcnaryxc Thread Starter

Tried it, didn't work, now what?

10. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

I don't understand what you mean.
    Did putting the fan up not change the operating temperature reported by the utility at all?

11. cwby74

cwby74

how long have you had this vid card, either case i had the same prob with a Geforce 5200 AGP i had its gets to the xp boot screen and then crashes from what i was told was that the card was overheating of course with two fans on it i didnt see how but he told me when it started doing that, that it wasnt any good.

12. telegramsam

telegramsam

How do you KNOW it's heat? Tried a different power supply?
    That Dimension didn't come with that video card, and your power supply might not be able to hand either of those cards well.

13. mcnaryxc

mcnaryxc Thread Starter

Ok, before I say about history, the heatsink we installed was a cpu heatsink. The cpu wasn't overheating all the time, just during heavy loads and demanding games did the cpu itself get too hot and shut down the computer.

As for the video problem, I'll describe it again. After installing the new cpu heatsink, we put everything back together on the inside just like we had it. I've built computers for over 4 years now, so I know how to do that. We get it all together and go to start it up. But, the computer would stop at the boot screen and we got a diagnositcs light code indicating we put the RAM in wrong and I guess there is a protocol to installing RAM in a Dell. Anyway, after doing that, the video card (Geforce 5500) seemed to run fine. It would get through the boot screens and then right before it would get to the login section, it would shut down. The fan was still spinning and the monitor and the cable were working fine, but there was no signal from the computer going to the monitor. So, we took out the video card and (kinda like the old N64 games) blew off the dust and tried reinserting the card again. This time, it got us to the user desktop, ran for about five minutes, and then shut off again with the same symptons of the fan still spinning, but no video. Keep in mind, it's late and we didn't have long fuses. After all, my friend wanted to see what this heatsink could do. So, getting impatient, we had a geforce 5200 laying around and put that in. According to my friend, every once in a while, the 5200 will shut off the video and he needs a restart, but its not as frequent as the 5500. So, thats the problem.

Now, someone mentioned the psu, and another one of my friends asked the same. The PSU is 450w, which seems like enough for the 5500. Also, that 5500 had run in that computer for over 2 months without having this problem, so it probably isn't the cpu.

One more issue, and I know people don't like this, but when we took the cover off while the computer was running to feel the coolness and see inside, we needed to move some of the power cables inside. Well, in doing so, one cable touched one of the screws holding the fan onto the heatsink and the fan shut off, lights and all, and come back on after it stop touching the screw. But just that fan, nothing else. Now, does that indicate a bad wire, or that my heatsink is grounding out, or both? Could the grounding out make my video card go nuts?

O, and btw, I thought I'd humor you and show you what the heatsink looks like on the mobo.

Attached Files:

14. Compiler

Compiler

A wire touching metal shouldn't do ANYTHING... if its a powercable - might be a damanged or defective wire or PSU

450watt PSU is fine for up to a GF8800gts (which won't work on your setup anyways).

Big-O heatsink..

15. win2kpro

win2kpro

What is the make and model of that cooler? It's hard to tell from that photo, but it appears that the cooler is not mounted flat so the heatsink base would be in full contact with the processor. This may just be an illusion from the photo.

Set the board on a perfectly flat surface and put a level across the top of the cooler to verify that it is mounted perfectly flat.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice