1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Heatsink upgrade question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Claire_Kitty, Jan 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Claire_Kitty

Claire_Kitty Thread Starter

Hi, I'm wanting to upgrade my heatsink, but I'm not sure what I need. My motherboard is this model: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138373. I've determined I have a AM3+ type socket, but I don't really understand what that means or what it has to do with a heatsink. The stock heatsink the computer came with has a 70mm fan on it. I think this is the fan/heatsink that it came with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103188. There is about 1cm of space on each side before I would run into other stuff, does that mean I can get a 90mm heatsink/fan and it'll be okay? The motherboard has this like, seating or something for the heatsink and I'm not sure I can remove it, and if I could, what could I replace it with? Thanks in advance.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Is there some sort of problem with Cpu temperatures that you're trying to fix ?

3. Claire_Kitty

My CPU fan broke, so I was thinking it would be a good time to replace the whole heatsink aswell.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    It would be a lot easier to just replace the fan.

You may not find the fan for sale by itself but if you get the exact same heatsink & fan (Ebay ?) you could then fit the new fan onto the original heatsink.

Otherwise, to replace H&F, you would have to remove the existing H&F, remove the thermal compound/pad from the bottom of the heatsink and from the Cpu , apply new thermal compound, then lastly fit the new H&F.

5. Claire_Kitty

Yes, but my question is about what kind of heatsink will fit in, or be compatible with my motherboard/processor.

6. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

The fan on your heatsink was probably running max all the time trying to cool the cpu seeing as that heatsink is junk. The Stock AMD one would have done a better job cooling. What cpu and case are you using? There are tons of AM3+ heatsinks to choose from, but some are rather large and may not fit in your case.

7. Claire_Kitty

My case has plenty of room in the umm, outward direction. The RAM and some other things are quite close to the current heatsink, about 1cm away on every side. I can't really boot up the computer safely without the fan in order to check the CPU.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    If you are set on replacing both parts, heatsink and fan, you might as well take it off now and read what it says on the Cpu so you can tell Amd_Man which Cpu you have.

I tried to save you some work in my previous post. You really need to measure the space in 3 dimensions then compare it to the size of the H&F you are thinking of buying to see if it will fit.

9. Claire_Kitty

10. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

This will work for you. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099 I am doubtful the heatsink you had cooled a FX 6300 very well. Remember when you replace the heatsink you have to clean the old thermal compound off with 90% isopropyl alcohol then apply the thermal compound that will come with the new heatsink. Follow the instructions included to do so.

11. Claire_Kitty

I don't think that one will fit. I went ahead and took a picture with a measuring tape. That's in centimeters.
    [​IMG]

12. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

It will fit on no problem.

13. Claire_Kitty

Are you sure?? That's like almost twice the size and there's only a tiny bit of room.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140555

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice