1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HEEEAAALP (me figure out what video card I need)!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpadeHand, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpadeHand

SpadeHand Thread Starter

Hello all, and thank you for taking the time to read my thread. I suffer quite the dilemma.

Well, today is actually my birthday; I decided to get a new video card in the hopes of finally being able to play a high-ish end game on my PC. So, after I looked up the optimal card for Far Cry 3 as an example of a big pretty modern game and found that an optimal card ranges around 400$ (!), I thought I'd settle for something more in my range.

What I needed to find out was if this card was even capable of running on my computer in the first place.

This is the card in question I was looking at, and in the attachments I've included all I could find from clicking on Computer > Properties from the Start Menu:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004

If there are any questions to answer before I can get any help, I'm happy to help... by answering them.

2. SpadeHand

SpadeHand Thread Starter

It would probably help if I actually included the attachment

Attached Files:

3. dai

dai

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    As dai says, you need to check you power supply if you are going to upgrade the graphics card. From you screenshot it says you are running a Gateway machine, from that I would suggest that you most definately need to upgrade your PSU if you put a new GPU in, name brand manufacturers aren't renown for using quality PSUs that will adequately support a hardware upgrade like a new GPU :) Unfortunately this does mean additional cost.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to the specs for the Gateway DX4300, it comes with either a 300W or a 500W power supply.

According to the specs for the SAPPHIRE 100355-1GOCL Radeon HD 7850, it requires a minimum of a 500W power supply.

You would definitely need to upgrade the power supply.

---------------------------------------------------------

6. SpadeHand

SpadeHand Thread Starter

Okay... Power supply, huh? That's good to know, but it's all a little above my know-how. How is it that I check what/where my power supply is? And where would I find one compatible with my computer?

7. dai

dai

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!