1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Heelp needed re home network!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Charllie, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Charllie

Charllie Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie to this site so plz be gentle with me!! I am hoping that you will be able to help me with a long term problem that i have.

For the past 8 months i have been tryin to set up a home network with my daughters pc (upstairs) and my pc (downstairs). However i have not had much success so i will explain what i have done and i wait in hope that someone can help me. I would appreciate it if any instructions could be in easy step by step, im not that bad with computers but not that clever with internet lans etc.

Ok my pc (downstairs) is running windows xp pro and service pack 2, the firwall and virus program used is trend micro pc-cillin internet security 2005. Windows xp firewall is off. This is the computer connected to the internet by BT broadband 1mb through an external speedtouch 530 router. The broadband connection is and always has worked fine with no problems. I also have an internal ethernet adapter/connection.

My daughters pc (upstairs) has windows xp pro also and is not connected to the internet. She has an internal ethernet adapter/connection.

I have an ethernet cable running and connected from the back of my daughters pc to the ethernet connection to the back of my pc. The speedtouch modem is connected to my pc (downstairs) by usb port. The speedtouch modem is also connected directly to the phone and has the correct supplied filter on the connection.

To connect the two pcs i have run the wiindows xp wizard on both pcs and followed the directions. By doing this i have been able to transfer files from my computer (downstairs) to my daughters pc but she cannot transfer to mine. Also she is unable to get a connection to the internet using internet explorer, but my connection remains working.

When i open internet connections on my pc i have two connections 'Local Area Connection' which is for the ethernet and 'Local Area Connection 3' which is for the speedtouch. When i open the properties/internet protocal for the ethernet connection the 'Obtain IP address automatically' is checked and ther is no ip address in the list by it.

I hope this is enough information for you and hope that ther is someone out there who can help me solve this long term problem. My daughter would love to have the internet in her room. If you need any more info or require screen shots then plz let me know.

Thank you to all who read this thread with the thought of helping and to all those in advance that do help.

Cheers

Charllie

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

First off leave the connection out of the home alone to the internet. That adapter that allows your computer out to the internet you are set from that point forward. Now working backward what you need to do is on the hosting PC you need to go through the following steps outlined -

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/ics.mspx

First make the necessary change to your adapter getting the information from your ISP.

Also make sure your internal adapters are set to automatically assign IP's and that you setup the I.E settings on the secondary computer.

3. Charllie

Charllie Thread Starter

Hi Stumped,

Thanks for your reply.

What do you mean by 'First off leave the connection out of the home alone to the internet.'

Sorry but not up on networking.

Thanks

Charllie

4. randyrayd

randyrayd

I believe the instructions are to not assign an IP address for your internet connection.

Randall

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The speedtouch 530 router is a two port router. Why don't you just plug your daughter's machine directly into the router's Ethernet port and get rid of the lame ICS junk?

6. Charllie

Charllie Thread Starter

Hi Guys, thks again for the reply, i really do appreciate it.

Johwill. i assume you mean take the ethernet cable from my pc and connect it to the back of of the speedtouch router. Once that is done should i just run the network wizard on xp again and set up a network.

Thks

Charllie

7. JohnWill

Well, I was thinking you'd leave the USB connected to your computer, since you're next to the router, and it's already working. The Ethernet cable coming from your daughter's machine just connects to the Ethernet port of the router. All done! :D

8. lonestarx

lonestarx

hi charlie,
    have you considered setting up a wireless network, cuts back on all those untidy cables, and is much more flexible than a wired network.
    mark.

9. JohnWill

While wireless is nifty, wired connections are easier to set up, faster, more reliable, and more secure. IMO, if wired is an option, it's foolish to be screwing around with wireless.

10. lonestarx

lonestarx

a wireless can be every bit as secure, as fast and as reliable as a wired network, granted a little bit more thought in setting up a wireless network is involved, but for the average home user it is definitely worth considering.

another advantage, is the ability to add devices at a future date, without the need for expensive cabling work to be undertaken.

11. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

"cough"

all I have to say is 1000baseT to workstations these days (not to mention most have had 100baseT for longer the Wireless G has been avaiable), not even able to get any data connection unless you have a hardwire

I'll give you the reliable one because I can't make an educated arguement.

Personally the only thing I won't give wired that I give wireless is portable. Alot of places these days ONLY have wireless and your not gonna be able to find a hardwire to get "jacked in".

Charlie I think if you stick with Johnwills explination that would be the easiest setup. I was not aware the speedtouch 530 had 2 connections and I thought you were connecting your PC's "In-Line"

12. lonestarx

lonestarx

<rant mode>
    whilst 1000baseT is the coming standard, and is much more suited to todays modern corporate lans, for the average home user 10baseT is more than enough bandwidth, so with that in mind, the 54g offered by todays wireless networking equipment more than meets the connectivity requirement for a small home lan.
    </rant mode>

apologies to charlie, as my advice hasn't really sort out his connection probs, but to suggest that the average home user needs a 1000baseT network, in order to have a 'fast' lan is irresponsible.

13. Charllie

Charllie Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

Thanks again to all of you for your replies and help.

I have followed the directions that i can understand and i do have some success. Both pcs are now connected and we are able to share files. However we still cannot share the internet. My pc is still working fine but if my daughters opens her explorer then she just gets the unavailable page. Both the connection icons on both pcs for the home network say limited or no connectivity. Please could someone give a few more minutes of their time and help me get the broadband shared between the two pcs once and for all. It is so close now.

Thanks again

Charllie

14. randyrayd

randyrayd

Can you do a search on the blank IE page? If so, do a search for whatever it is. If you find it with a search go there, click on Tools>Internet options>General and under address click "use current".

Randall

15. angel

angel

Charllie,

On each PC, go to Start>Run and type in 'cmd' - now, at the dos prompt, type 'ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt'
    Open up the file on each PC (c:\ipconfig.txt) and post back with their contents. Be sure to label which PC is which.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice