1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HEKP!!! Wireless internet slow and shouldnt be. PLEASE READ AND HELP

Discussion in 'General Security' started by lazyandmotivated, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lazyandmotivated

lazyandmotivated Thread Starter

I was on the internet and got a virus, it was bad to the point where i system restored my Dell INspiron E1705 to original factory settings. Previously the Intel Wireless software wasnt working and I was using Windows to access wireless internet.

Now the intel Pro-Wireless is working, but my downloads are 11KB/sec, instead of 90KB/sec, which im used to. I enabled windows to control the wireless connection, but its still slow.

I find my computer slowing up a bit and i'm not used to it. i think there might be a virus still in it, but i competely reinstall windows.

any ideas or suggestions would really help. Thanks guys.

also: my computer says in the system information that i have a Dell Inspiron 9400, is that just the name of the system configuration or is there a problem since it doesnt match my computer type. thanks.

2. happychic

happychic

Hi,

I am wondering what Antivirus you are using? A few days ago I had to re install my wireless software. After doing so I noticed that my connection speed had slowed down considerably. I opened Network Connections to see what was going on. As it turned out I had Windows running my wireless and another wireless connection. This happened after I used and ethernet cable. (bypassing the wireless) After disabling one of the connections my speed is back up to 100kbs or near.

In the past I have used frostwire (am i alowed to say that?) and it made my connection slow as it was sharing with out my permission.

Might be best to make sure nothing is using your connection and is it secure.

I am only a beginner, and the info contained is my opinion only.

hope it helps

3. lazyandmotivated

i was using AVAST! when my computer got infected, at least i think it got infected. Then i installed Norton 360, bc i already had it just wasnt using it bc it slowed down my computer.

right now i'm not running any anti-virus. And i'm wondering if that is contributing to my weak wireless connection.

i dont know that much about computers, but i'm learning more with all my different issues.

thanks

4. lazyandmotivated

u mentioned making sure my connetion was secure.

i have a wireless modem router from Verizon and it has WEP security enabled and i dont think any of my neighbors are hackers, except for maybe one, but im not sure.

problem is that Norton 360 takes so long to update and is such a hastle and i feel in my heart that it really doesnt protect my computer at all. i feel safer without.

you think i should install it anyway. maybe i should.

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

WEP is an old and weak encryption, doesn't your modem router support WPA2 ? WEP is crackable in minutes and someone can be using your wireless connection.

6. texastoy4her

texastoy4her

I am a bit confused. You said you were using Avast but then went to using Norton 360 after the virus, but then go on to ask " if you should install the Norton 360"?

Just curious if you have attempted to connect directly to the modem to see if your speed increases and to make sure it is just through the wireless connection that is slow.

I am not very good with computers myself and might be speaking out of line here, but I believe if you did in fact get a virus, doing a system restore does not always get rid of it. It is best to get rid of the virus itself.

7. lazyandmotivated

i uninstalled the norton 360 after i installed it. right now i'm not running any anti-virus.

i havent tried connecting through th einternet through an ethernet cable, but i will. verizon is shorting me on my speed this i know, but i'll check it out.

regarding my system restore, i completely restored it, but i've read other people saying even then, viruses cacn remain.

i just dont know what software to use, bc norton and avast didnt work.

any suggestions?

8. happychic

happychic

To the best of my knowledge System Restore ......restores your computer to an earlier or later time. If you have a virus I don't think Sys Res would get rid of it, it might be dormant.

My strong suggestion is...............protect your pc, get some antivirus software up and running asap.

Hope all goes well

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!