1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Helllpppppp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HD-Problem, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HD-Problem

HD-Problem Thread Starter

Please help!

A few days ago I decided to defrag my C derive so that I can allocate more space to it. I have a 80GB drive, with C, E, and F drives. During the Defrag, the computer decided to restart without any warnings, heads up, etc…After the reboot, the problems started…

The first time, it wanted a Boot Disk, so I used my Windows XP Pro CD. It would not load any other way. In the Repair Section, it will not recognize my C drive.

So I went out and bought a new Drive so that I can do the Slave/Main set-up and at least take all the documents that I desperately need from the Bad HD. Did the nececery configurations (did not partition the new HD) and used the Bad HD as the slave drive. I can see the drive in the Hardware Controle and Computer Management windows. I have:

Disk 0
    Basic
    76.32 GB

Disk 1
    Basic
    76.33 GB

(The Bad HD is Disk1). Under the Computer Management, it says that Disk 1 is “Unallocated” compared to Disk 0 which says “Healthy (System)”.

I tried again to use my CD drive as the main, the Bad HD as the slave and booted the computer to do a Windows XP Repair…but to my horror, it will not show C drive …

HELP……..

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sounds like the harddrive has failed.

You should download the manufacturers diagnostics and test the drive.

Not sure you manufacturered your drive but this Maxtor tests works on most drives. If the drive fails, you can probably get it replaced by the manufacturer if its still under warranty (either 1 or 3 years).

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

3. HD-Problem

Thanks Triple6. When you say that the HD has failed, do you mean that all the information in it is gone?

And just a wuick question about this test, is there any risk of harming the files (if not already all gone)

4. Gill

Gill

hiya
    It sounds like a similar problem I had with my new computer. For some reason it wouldn't detect my hard drive.

Try this;

Go into the bios setup, and select "standard setup page" and change to "auto detect my harddrive"

Hope this helps you,
    Good luck.

Gill

5. HD-Problem

Gill,

Thanks for the note. It actually dose detect the HD (now on as a slave) but will not let me see the contents...

6. HD-Problem

BTW, the HD is a Fortex?

7. HD-Problem

sorry, its actually Maxtor...

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy HD-Problem...

Unfortunately it doesn't look good, what you can try is booting with the good drive and go into Disk Management, click on Action -Rescan drives, and see if it will see it as allocated...

If not...and the data isn't very important, get the diags ( BTW you can run the diags without harming any data, it should warn you when you are going to to a destructive test ) and do a Low Level Format, then set it back up...

Form what it sounds like when the pc rebooted during the defrag, it corrupted either the FAT ( File Allocation Table, fat32 format ) or the MFT ( Master File Table, NTFS format ), in which, sometimes they can be recovered...

9. GillIT

GillIT

You could try programs that copy images of your hard drive (eg Norton's Ghost). It will allow you to copy hd-to-hd, a lot like cd-to-cd burn. Or you could just save it as an image like a cd and just store it on your main hard drive. I will warn though that the image will be almost just as large as your hard drive, including free space. There is some compression, but not a big significance.

I have had hard drives fail, but I was able to either recover some or even all of the data. But then I understand it is quite expensive to just hold a spare around.

Of course... this is only assuming that there is some hardware issues and that your major files have not been corrupted. Ghost will copy the corrupted files exactly as it is.

Additional note when using Ghost... make sure you are copying the correct source to the correct destination, else you probably just did a long version of a hd format. Process also takes a bit of time.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168595

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice