1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hello - I'm having a really bad problem w/ Internet Explorer - I've tried everything

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Are Ichie, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Are Ichie

Are Ichie Thread Starter

I'm in a really bad bind. My IE6 won't open new windows properly. THAT'S NOTHING. ...
    I was already in habit of right-clicking, then copying the urls, when I realized that I can't download Critical Updates either. BIG PROBLEM.

I go to windowsupdate.microsoft, and do everything I'm supposed to, then when the small download window opens ('Accept'), the browser freezes. Then crashes.

Never fails.

---

After that, this info comes up as the problem.

Microsoft Internet Explorer
    AppName: iexplore.exe
    Offset: 00040894
    ModName: rpcrt4.dll

So I tried downloading rpcrt4.zip and led my browzer (Opera) to unzip it into Windows/System/ -- But it will NOT override the old dll and continues to say it's in process.

I've also uninstalled iexplore and then re-downloaded it, and re-installed.

What has happened to my IE and what do I need to do to fix it??

Thanks Guys.

2. DKTaber

DKTaber

All (at least recent) IE versions have a "repair" facility. Have you tried going to the Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, double-click your IE, and clicking the "Repair" radio button? I have IE 6, and it has gone awry a few times, but it has always fixed itself using "Repair".

3. Are Ichie

Are Ichie Thread Starter

Yes,
    I've uninstalled/reinstalled it twice. And I've used ADD/REMOVE's Repair option twice also.

4. DKTaber

DKTaber

Sounds like it's not IE that's the problem; something has gone haywire with Windows. Have you tried using the System File Checker (Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information, Tools, System File Checker)? It looks for missing OR CORRUPTED files, and will reinstall them from your Win disk, if inserted in your CD.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice