1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hello Win 7 to xp

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fin1983, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fin1983

fin1983 Thread Starter

Hello new member here obviously as my post count will now be 1... my issue is i have a di 604 router and i am trying to home network a HP m8100n running windows 7 and a emachines W3503 running xp sp3 we can see each other in our networks and share files and printers but the xp machine cannot ping or connect to the windows 7 machine if i try to host a lan game?

I am at my wits end about why we can connect for file and printer sharing both ways but not be able to ping the 7 machine from xp.

I have installed the link layer topology discovery responder that i read should have been the fix from microsofts kb but that didnt work.

any suggestions would be helpful Thanks for your time.

2. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

I would check the Firewall settings on both the XP and the Win7 machine. Windows 7 has many stronger security measures in place and you may need to allow the XP machine to talk to the Win7 machine.

Try turning off the firewall completely on the Win7 machine first to see if you can ping it from the XP machine. If so, turn the firewall back on and manually add in the exceptions you'll need for your games.

3. fin1983

fin1983 Thread Starter

Both fire walls are off and still not able to ping. :( Thank you though.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Failure to ping in one direction is almost always a firewall issue, and not the Windows firewall if file and printer sharing is enabled.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!