Help! 0 Byte Files And Not A Valid Win32 App

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jabz101

i really need help. i know alot about pcs but this problem i cannot fix. i have 8 years of music i have recorded and need them all back. i was using my pc oneday when i think a virus hit it. it turned all my files into blank applicataions and they all read 0 bytes. i ran windows xp over but left all of my files intact so everything is still here but all of my files say 0 bytes and not a valid win32 application. i really need help i just bought norton 2005 and ran it and it fould 77 viruses and deleted them. can i still fix my other problem though now that my virus is gone? please help willing to donate if it gets fixed.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you don't have any backups, and a virus really nuked all the files, it's pretty likely that they're really gone. You could try some file recovery applications, but I don't hold out much hope.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Jabz101:

If Norton Antivirus 2005 detected 77 viruses, I'm guessing that you've been a few places on the Internet that you shouldn't have been, and that you installed your antivirus program too late to do you much good.:(

JohnWill:

Do you see any point in having him post a HijackThis log?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If "all of my files intact so everything is still here but all of my files say 0 bytes and not a valid win32 application", how are you running any apps at all? Can you give more details. Is it just your data music files that have been changed?

Jabz101

no its everything.all of my files are blank. they say 0 bytes and when i click it it displays that mesage "Not A Valid Win32 App ". i bought a program called recover my files and i used it. it showed me all of my files that are on my computer with the correct bytes and everything. so i know everything is still on my pc i just dont know how to get them back.

If an application you purchased is able to see the information about the files all the way down to their respective sizes, then I my guestimation would be that your problem sits with the operating system and windows explorer itself, not the individual files.

The quickest way to recover your files - if they are recoverable at all - requires another desktop PC and a screwdriver. You will need to physically extract the hard drive from your computer and slave it up to another machine, so you can view the files from an operating system that hasn't been corrupted beyond use. From there, you can burn all of your music to discs so you'll have hard copies.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'll be interested to see if there's anything there. I seem to recall a few years ago a virus, I believe it was CokeBottle, which went through and nuked all the files. There was no recovery...

You will need to physically extract the hard drive from your computer and slave it up to another machine, so you can view the files from an operating system that hasn't been corrupted beyond use. From there, you can burn all of your music to discs so you'll have hard copies.
Don't forget SCAN SCAN SCAN that HDD many many many times to ensure nothing bad has got on those files and make sure to be careful when trying to access anything on the slaved HDD.

Not all. Some just replicate themeslves but do no real damange to files. Removing the virus is all that is needed to be done. Some actually damage files so even after removing the virus, you still have all the damamged files to deal with.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online