1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! 97C!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ledzeppelinftw, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ledzeppelinftw

ledzeppelinftw Thread Starter

you heard it, my cpu is running at 97 Celcius..

That's 206 degrees F!

I have the pentium D 3.4 GHZ, and everybody says the heatsink and fan suck.

So if I replace the heatsink and fan, will this solve my problem?

I don't see how a simple upgrade of a fan coudl push the temp down 100 degree.

Any suggestions please?? My comp won't go past the windows start up screen! It bluescreens everytime.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

With the stock HSF, you should have manageable temperatures.

Your results suggest that the HS is not thermally bonded to the CPU die, (loose, no thermal compound etc) or that the fan has stopped.

3. telegramsam

telegramsam

Look in there and see if it's seated correctly. Is it a Socket 775? Cuz if is, those are kinda tough to seat in the first place. Check all four corners and make sure they're seated properly.

I'd suggest reapplying thermal paste in any case.

And btw, those don't suck unless you're overclocking or something...

4. ledzeppelinftw

its LGA 775.

it didn't come with thermal paste, could THAT be my problem? well..at least I don't think it did, unless that's the grey sticker on teh bottom of the heatsink.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you are unaware of the critical need for correct thermal coupling (either by paste or a prefitted pad use) then that will certainly be where your problem lies.

6. ledzeppelinftw

so my heatsink and fan are fine? I heard a bunhc of reviews on newegg that said they had to replace it. should I go ahead and replace it? or jsut get the thermal paste?

7. telegramsam

telegramsam

Let's get some thermal paste on there and see what happens first. There is nothing wrong with 775 stock coolers if you aren't overclocking.

Don't pay much attention to those reviews on Newegg. Do you trust this person?: "bot 4 of this boards nd evryone was DOA. Never trust ASuS agin!" OR "I got this Celeron overclocked to a stable 16.8Ghz. I'm doing DNA computations with this baby!"...

Just check it's seating, make sure all the posts are solidly engaged. You NEED thermal paste, especially with the Pentium D's. Also check that the fan is running when powered on.

8. ledzeppelinftw

mmkay, gonna go to best buy. hoepfully they have thermal paste. I saw one online with copper flakes, and cosnidering copper helps dissipate heat, it seems like a nice prioduct.

9. telegramsam

telegramsam

I suppose it probably is, but the silver based stuff like Artic Silver works just fine. Don't worry if you can't find that particular type.

And remember to clean the processor and heat sink thoroughly before reapplying.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since it had a pad on the stock HS, providing it was seated correctly, you shouldn't have gotten anywhere close to these temperatures. The best thermal compound in the world won't fix it if the HS is not correctly aligned with the processor and securely clamped on.

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

The scenario you describe is fairly common on socket 775 processors that are not fully seated and locked.

If you haven't removed the cooler try this;

Without removing the cooler take a flat blade screwdriver and turn the pins 90-degrees counterclockwise to the unlock position. With all the locking pins loose, turn the pin assemblies back clockwise as far as they will go. Push down HARD on 2 pins at a time diagonal from each other, until all 4 pins are fully down and locked.

12. ledzeppelinftw

I bought some dynex silver, my cpu is running at 42C.

but only while the computer is on its side, so after I install some more software I'll open it up and check out that fan, its obviously not sitting on there correctly.

13. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

(y) Every bit helps, I say.

14. telegramsam

telegramsam

On it's side or upright, if it wasn't seated properly, you'd see WAY higher temps than 42c. 42c is a solid temp for Pentium D. Just grab it with your hand and gently wiggle, see if all four posts feel locked solid. If they do, you got it. I think you got it already. Good job!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice