HELP!!!!!_Connecting wireless notebook Problems-Linksys

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ronhum

My nephews notebook computer crashed, and he did a Windows XP reinstall.

Of course this killed his wireless home internet connection.

He has a Linksys g card installed in the notebook. And he downloaded the driver for the card and installed , and the wireless Linksys card shows up as an icon at the bottom of his screen.

However, he cannot get it to connect back to his wireless home network, which consist of a Linksys wireless router, just connected to his desktop.

I have tried to read the troubleshooters, but his computer doesnt seem to match up with what it says click on.

What would be the best action at this point? We have the card in, and installed, and driver installed for the card.

What do we do next to get it to work with the home network?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You say:

Of course this killed his wireless home internet connection.

Not sure why this would be an automatic assumption.

ronhum

Well, after the windows reinstall, the network card didnt show up. So he had to download the driver for the wireless card which looks to be installed properly.

But don't know what to do from this point to get the notebook to recognize the network again.

Right click the network icon and click on view wireless connections. See if it recognizes the network transmitting from the router. If so, then he will have to enter the name of the network, SSID and then provide the key if security in enable on the router.

If this doesn't work or you get lost on the way...then provide the make and model of the wireless router and we'll go from there.

ronhum

Well, when he right clicks on the Network connection icon on his notebook, it justs gives the options to disable, status, repair, , etc and does not say anything about wireless connection. Maybe he is looking at wrong icon? I am having to communicate by phone and am not there.

The router that is connected to his desktop is a Linksys Wireless G. And the card he has installed in the notebook is a linksys wireless g.

Control panel-->netork connections-->right click wireless connections. Note the name of the network and whether or not it is open or if a pass key needs to entered. If he need a key, that he will have to obtain from the routers setup page.

We'll go from there if no luck...

ronhum

Well, he opened Control Panel, then clicked on network connections, and the only Icon there, says Local Area Connection. There does not seem to be anything that says Wireless connections.

Does he need to go along the right column, and create a new connection?

If he installed the software for Linksys wireless adapter, he should have an icon in the system tray near the clock. Double-click the icon and this should open a monitor for the wireless network connections with the set up options.

If this monitor is not installed or unavailble then double click the network icon and look for properties. Then look for wireless networks and see if it is listed there.

Let me know if any progress is made or not from here.

ronhum

He does have an icon in the system tray. When he double clicks it, it opens up and indicates that Cannot Associate with AP.

This gets a little difficult at times do this without actually being there.

Through the same monitor, there should be an area to set up the configuration. It will ask him what the SSID is, thats the name of his network and for security information if he has security enabled on the router itself. If there is no security, then it should be simple. If he has security on the router, and he knows the type and the key or passphrase. Then he will need to enter that also. If he has security enabled and he doesn't know the key, then he will have to reset the router for factory settings on the router and start from scratch. I can only assume that he is not the one that set this up in the first place.

I would recommend that he obtain the manual from the linksys website or access it from the install cd. There should be a manual on the cd in .pdf format.

ronhum

Yes, he checked that and the SSID on both the destop and the notebook are linksys. So they are the same. The security is not enabled.

Not sure what the problem is.

I will check to see if I can find the manual online, thanks for your help.

ronhum

yea, he has rebooted many times. It worked fine until he had to reinstall Windows. We may try reinstalling the driver for the card.

Something he may want to look at from his computer that is wired to the router and working is to log on to the configuration/setup page of the router and see if it is set up to broadcast his network name.(SSID) If that is disabled and he has done a new install, the wireless adapter would not pick it up.

Access the routers setup page by typing 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of his browser on the computer that is working.

If he cannot access this due to forgotten password, etc., then reseting to factory defaults on the router will enable him to access.

Just some things I thought may help...

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
XP should find the card and install the drivers.

When you take the card out, restart, then put the card in, does Windows find it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online