1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help a newbie please!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MistiLeigh, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MistiLeigh

MistiLeigh Thread Starter

ok, here goes.... a ms office free trial came on my laptop, i used it for school and now it has expired. i need it for the rest of the semester so i tried to download a free trial from the ms website. needles to say i found out that the old one is blocking the new one from working. i tried to remove the old one first by deleting then by uninstalling. i need help badly! i want this fixed so i can finish my work at home. please!!

2. olliea95

olliea95

You cannot use MS Office for longer than the trial period, even uninstalling it and reinstalling. It is possible but I think illegal.

What I recommend is to completely remove the Office trial and download Open Office ( http://www.openoffice.org ) which is basically a free version of Microsoft Office. Its not a Microsoft product, but the Open Office developers have created an environment very similar to MS Office which is easy to use and more importantly - free. (Added bonus, its also open source.)

Post back if you need any help installing it or using it :) .

3. MistiLeigh

thank you for answering me. i do have open office and it is similar(though i like ms better), but my class at school requires office 2007. well, i guess i'll have to buy it. hope i can find it at a discounted price.... one more ? ..... when i do buy it, do i just put the product key on the screen where it tells me it has expired or should i try to uninstall it again and do the whole thing over? thanks for helping!

4. olliea95

olliea95

You will probably be able to use Open Office with your school without needing MS Office 2007, why is it they require it? If you do *need* it, like my school was - they let you buy an install CD from them for £5. Very discounted.

If its just you need it to open up .docx files, I think OO can open them. But if not there are document converters online. My personal favourite is http://www.youconvertit.com .

It is well worth having a chat to the IT department of you school to see if they can sell you a copy of Office instead of buying retail.

5. MistiLeigh

its college, they sell trials in the bookstore. i havent checked to see how much the full version would be through the school, but i've seen ads from around here that it is from 150-175 dollars. thanks for your help, ill be back with more ?s!

6. olliea95

olliea95

Your welcome.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918816

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice