1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help a newbie restore windows xp please

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tom Seeley, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

I know there are tons of messages on this board about restoring a messed-up version of Windows, and I can understand most of them, mostly. But I'm still sorta scared to JUST pop my Dell restore CD in the drive and let it rip! I'd like feedback, pls, on the following big-picture step by step process I think I need to follow.

1. I have made a full backup of my internal HD using Acronis, to an external HD. I've tested it and it seems to do what it's supposed to do. I've used Acronis to make bootable CDs as well.

2. I think I must ensure that I have access to all *.exe files I'll need once I restore, so I can reinstall all executable software I now use and want to use after restoring windows. Some, I have on CD (e.g., Office). Some I installed by downloading a *.exe file, which I may or may not have still on my HD somewhere. Assuming I can get to all the *.exe files, how'm I doin so far?

3. What do I do next? I have the Dell windows restore CD. It will restore my system to Windows XP Home including SP 1a, but nothing beyond that. So I assume that once I'm restored to that state, I'll have to slog thru Windows update to get updated to SP2. That didn't work the last time I tried it, so that's what I'm trying now to overcome. Needless to say, I'm nervous about this step but I guess I gotta try it!

4. After I've updated XP to SP2, what should I do next? I assume it will NOT work to simply use Acronis to restore my program files. So I assume I'll have to reinstall every one of them manually one at a time. Right?

5. Assuming I can do step 4 successfully, can I THEN use Acronis to restore my data files from the external HD to their original locations on the newly restored HD?

Thx in advance, for whatever help and reassurance I get!

T

2. SB305

SB305

Re Step 3:
    Assuming that the Dell CD restores ONLY Windows XP, I would install XP Service Pack 2 next, then the motherboard and other device drivers.
    There are then umpteen XP updates to install which came after Service Pack 2.

3. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

SB305,

I hadn't thought about device drivers. I do have a separate CD from Dell that says it's to install those. I guess I have to put that step in my checklist as well! Thx.

4. SB305

SB305

I commented only on Step 3 because I haven't used Acronis and don't know whether you cloned the original drive or made an image of it. In any case, you've tested it and found it working and so will be able to recover EVERYTHING from the original installation if the new one goes wrong - which is the essential backup principle.
    In hindsight it may have been simpler just to backup your data (including .exe folders for which you don't have the installation disks) to the external drive.
    However, once you've got the new, clean installation running problem-free, it would be a great idea to clone it.

5. Leeis

Leeis

Next time you update to XP2 download it at microsoft to your computer to run it

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

When you reinstall XP, reinstall Acronis. Then enter Acronis and use (every version is a little different) but you are looking for "mount image" or "explore image" and that makes a virtual drive out of the image file you made. Then you can copy and paste whatever files and data you want from it to the new OS.
    To be on the safe side, when you reinstall XP, shut off the external drive for safety.
    The one other thing you might want to do if you use OE or Outlook for email, is to File, export your address book and messages separately to the external drive.

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

You do not need to re-install acronis. If you made a backup of your system with acronis and have the restore disk acronis had you make then you are all set. No matter what you do with the restore disk from your computer you can always go back using the acronis backup by just restoring it.

The key to what you want to do is one word = READ. You must read the screen and understand what you wish to do. Just give it a try and you will have FUN WOW!

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

That's the difficult way ozrom1e. Why go into rescue environment which is muc slower than Windows and then drag and drop files to new partition and OS? Makes no sense install Acronis to new OS.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643318

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice