1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help a noob? 2 routers...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PhilS88, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilS88

PhilS88 Thread Starter

I'm pretty savvy with everyday things, but this has me stumped. I'm trying to use 2 routers on my home network, with a slightly unusual twist.

Routers: Asus RT-AC1900P, 2 identical units.

My CURRENT setup: 2 ISPs, a wireless ISP (WiMax, primary) OR a mobile phone (tethered, secondary) on 1 router positioned at the far end of my house. I NEVER use both ISPs at the same time. Fairly simple and works perfectly, minus the other end of the house having weak signal.

What I want: Same ISP setup outputting to BOTH routers. *However* I NEED 1 router to ONLY broadcast 2.4GHz, and the other to ONLY broadcast 5GHz at opposite ends of the house. If I can't get the two routers to communicate AND isolate the frequencies, this post is irrelevant, because I'll just move one router to a central location. I know, that would be WAY easier, but not ideal for me. I'll explain if asked. I know how to shut off a frequency (5GHz is currently off), but I'm unsure if it's the same when using 2 routers together. And I also know 5GHz won't go far. I just need to cover one large room.

Devices used: Laptop (basic dummy usage), several mobile phones, 2 tablets, and most importantly 2 PS4 consoles and a Nintendo Switch. Nothing requires being hardwired.

Preferences:
    *I want to avoid anything to do with a static IP (ISP is weird).
    *I would prefer the routers to communicate wirelessly (1 router obviously hardwired from the modem). However (if necessary), I can easily hardwire them together via an unused 100ft CAT5e cable.
    *If possible (but not necessary), I'd like to be able to interchange the ISPs between routers (meaning ISP A+B and router C+D can be any combination AC+AD, BC+BD, AC+BD... implying I want the ability to have both routers communicate using 1 ISP, but then be able to hook up the other ISP to one of the routers and have them stop communicating and act as two completely separate networks). Hopefully that made sense. Maybe that's not possible...

I think I've proven I'm not a total idiot, but please explain as if I am. HUGE thanks in advance for any and all help I may get!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice