1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! Access Denied Error

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jnye6625, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jnye6625

jnye6625 Thread Starter

Anytime I try to use a third-party software program to write to a removeable USB flash drive, or SD card reader I get an error that says: "Cannot write to Drive F:. Access is denied." I am using windows vista ultimate edition, and I am the only user account on the machine and it is set as administrator. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

2. TechB

TechB

Can you write to the drive with Windows Explorer?

3. jnye6625

jnye6625 Thread Starter

Yes I can write to it using windows explorer... i cannot write to it using programs like winhex.

4. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Right click> Run As.

5. jnye6625

jnye6625 Thread Starter

I tried that... same problem.

6. MMJ

MMJ Guest

What did you run as? what application is this?

7. jnye6625

jnye6625 Thread Starter

I am running WinHex as administrator. That was the only option i had. To do this i went to the winhex directory and right clicked on the winhex.exe file and click on run as administrator. The same problem occurs with any of the other software i use to try and write to this drive.

8. TechB

TechB

Can other programs write to the drive? Try saving a file to it from Notepad. In other words is this a Winhex problem?

9. jnye6625

jnye6625 Thread Starter

Yes, notepad is able to write to it. I don't think it is the problem of the software though, unless it has to do with windows vista compatibility. I did however set the program to run in windows xp compaitbility mode. Three different pieces of software all have the same problem when trying to write to the usb drive. One of the programs even uses a command prompt.

10. TechB

TechB

What are the programs? Can you copy a file to the USB drive with the copy command at a cmd prompt? It looks to me like it's a problem with those programs in Vista. Do they have Vista compatible versions?

11. jnye6625

jnye6625 Thread Starter

One program is WinHex, another is ITS Utils, I cant remember the name of the other. All of them gave me similar errors.

12. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Try saving a webpage on it using firefox.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!