1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP: Access to Documents and Settings/

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by philliyxx, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philliyxx

philliyxx Thread Starter

Computer Information:

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
    Version 2002, Service Pack 2

HP AMD Turion 64 Mobile ML-34
    1.58 GHz 1GB RAM

Recently I had to use PC recovery (hard drive not disks) because windows would not load due to registery files in the hive. I then chose the option not to delete anything but to replace what windows came with thinking I woud not loose any of my files.

Now when I log in I had to create a new account. It's an administrative one, and when I looked for some of my files in My Documents and Settings I chose my old profile folder but it says it is empty and the message "access denied" pops up when I try and open it. My question is, Are those files deleted, or can I recover them?

2. Skoad

Skoad

Sure this is a stupid question, but did you check Control PAnel/Users just to make sure there arnt any other users loaded

3. philliyxx

philliyxx Thread Starter

Yes, thank you for responding fast. Sorry I should have searched around the forums a little more before i posted. I figured out that I didn't have ownership of the files and I am in the process of doing that now. This thread can be locked or closed or whatever.

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

are you sitting down?

a while back i had to do a restore on my son's dell desktop but still wanted to access/retrieve files, pics/docs/etc before doing the restore, to include removing, then creating partitions/formatting the hd in the process of the restore.

i used an old hd as master and jumpered his as a slave and used the restore cd to install xphome/sp2 on my hd thinking/hoping i could retrieve the files.

i could get into doc/settings on the slaved hd but he and his mother had separate user accounts, which no longer existed.
    stuff could be seen in docs/settings but trying to open them, seeing "access denied" made them unreteivable.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/570366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice