1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help!!!! All I Get Is A (stupid) Green Blinking Monitor Light

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stacat69, Oct 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stacat69

Stacat69 Thread Starter

:( JUST BOUGHT A NEW SYSTEM. WITH ALL NEW PRODUCTS. INSTALLED 2.8 INTEL PROCESSOR, AMPTRON M266A MOTHERBOARD, 512 RAM, 120GB NEW HARD DRIVE, NOT OPERATIONAL YET. HAVE TRIED ALL SUGGESTIONS ON THIS SITE, NOTHING WORKS. SYSTEM STARTS UP FINE, I SEE A GREEN LIGHT ON MONITOR FOR 3 SECONDS, THEN SEE POWER SAVE FLASH ON MONITOR SCREEN, THEN A CLICK FROM THE MONITOR/MOTHERBOARD, I GUESS AND THE MONITOR STARTS BLINKING GREEN, NO BEEP OR ERROR MESSAGES, CODES NOTHING. I HAVE CHECKED OUT EVERYTHING FROM THE FRONT PANEL SETUP, CLEARING THE CMOS, UNPLUGGING FROM ONE MONITOR TO ANOTHER. THIS EVERYTHING IS RUNNING, AND SOUNDS IN PERFECT ORDER, JUST NO SCREEN, THIS MOTHERBOARD HAS ONBOARD VIDEO, I HAVE A VIDEO CARD, BUT ADDING A VIDEO CARD DOES NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. ANYONE GOT ANY CLUES TO WHAT THE PROBLEM MIGHT BE. THANKS. MY EMAIL IS [email protected] AND ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS!

2. BTS '76

BTS '76

If it's a new system, call support for the computer from the manufacturer and have them staighten it out before you void any warranties on the system.

3. Stacat69

Stacat69 Thread Starter

Any Ideas, I Think It's The Motherboard, Because Everything Else Is Working, I Get Green Lights On The Keyboard Then Nothing, If The Connectors On The Front/start Panel Board Aren't Set Up Right, Could This Be A Factor? What I Mean Is, The Start Button Works, But The Reset Button Does Nothing, No Power Down, Not Even For A Second, The System Keeps Running As Normal. Just No Video This Mb Has Onboard Video, And I've Even Tried My New Videocard To No Avail. Thanks

4. norton850

norton850

Stacat, did you build this yourself?

5. ohgrant

ohgrant

how many pci slots do you have filled. How do you have your ide jumpers set

6. rmay635703

rmay635703

1st Stop SCREAMING! DO NOT TYPE IN ALL CAPS

This could be

1. Dead Monitor
    2. Dead Computer

Probably a dead computer, try another monitor (old ones work great) you know works from someone else, if it fires properly on a good monitor you have a dead monitor, if not you have a dead pc

A dead computer can be caused by any of the following,
    1. Incorrectly configured motherboard <-reset cmos, check jumpers
    2. Incorrectly installed motherboard <- grounded out to the case, missing screws
    3. Craptaskic Power Supply <- try another that is known to work of sufficient size, bad PSUs cause many problems. RMA if dead
    4. Heatsync and fan improperly installed <-overheat protection kicks in or dead cpu
    5. Motherboard is DEAD <- RMA, can be tested outside the case on non-conductive material with an old vid card, good psu, good cpu/fan
    6. Video card is dead or flakey <-Try another and see.
    7. Bad or Incorrectly installed RAM <-Make sure its compatible and in the right slot, reseat firmly and see. If its dead RMA
    8. Improperly installed cables <-make sure their the right direction and connected to the proper devices.

Did you assemble this yourself or was it a preassembled unit?

Your best bet is to test the unit on another monitor if it still doesn't work RMA it to the place you bought it and get another as if it came in this state its probably going to cause nothing but troubles even if you do manage to make it work.

Cheers

7. Stacat69

Stacat69 Thread Starter

i thank you guys for all your replies I bought the motherboard/cpu brand new, but had someone with expertiese put the pcu/fan/motherboard together and install in my case. The monitor i am using right now is the same one I used to try to get my new computer to run off of. I did try another monitor, No Luck, changed video card out with another, No Luck, bought another motherboard and another processor, same problem keeps happening. the Power 'Supply is brand new, and it powers up everything with no overheating or smell or anything unusual. I 'm not sure what you mean about the IDE jumpers, (What are these) ? The cables (Ide) are new, switched them out with the regular gray thin cables, same thing, no video, just green blinking light on monitor. What can I try next. ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When i power up my computer, (or turn it on) from the switch on the back of the computer, i get the (Powersave) picture on my monitor screen, then it clicks and disappears and just blinks green. Is the CPU supposed to make any noise at all to alert you that it is working? Sorry for the cap locks, Im just as my witts end with this and want to throw it out the window and sell whatever parts I have for scrap *&(&* lol) Anyway,thanks

8. junker39

junker39

As rmay suggested, "Bad or Incorrectly installed RAM <-Make sure its compatible and in the right slot, reseat firmly and see." Looks like you have changed everything except the RAM. Give that a shot. Ensure you aren't using different types of RAM at the same time.(one stick of SDRAM and one of DIMM) That won't work. Good luck.

9. ohgrant

ohgrant

the ide jumpers are on the back pins of every ide drive if a device is on top of a ide cable the jumper should be set to master if it is on the second down, slave. It will not boot and could give you the black screen problem if both are set to master, there should be a little diagram on ide devices to show master, slave, cable select. If you only have one device per ide cable try cable select for both. hope this helps.

10. norton850

norton850

I reviewed all the posts so far and do have some questions and suggestions.

Did you do as rmay suggested? That is hook up only the RAM (one stick if you have two), CPU/heat sink and fan and monitor. No video card (use onboard video), no hard drives, modem, audio card etc. Do this outside of the case on a non conductive surface like the box the MB came in.

Recheck all wires. Make sure that if there is a 4 wire connector that goes to the motherboard it is plugged in. Only plug in the case wire for the front power switch.

11. Stacat69

Stacat69 Thread Starter

undefined (y) I checked every aspect, and it turned out to be a jumper on the JKBV1 jumper. It was on the wrong pins. I took every suggestion you guys gave me, and thank you again for being so patient with me. I was sure it was probably something simple that I was overlooking! But I never moved that jumper. It was my last hope before really just pulling all my hair out. Well, Thanks Guys, you are G R E A T! I will definately be making a donation to the site. You guys are A W E S O M E! (Sorry for the All Caps, but I'm having a party to celebrate.) lol

Signed, Stacey
    Texas Lone Star State of Gratitude!

12. ohgrant

ohgrant

Glad to help, happy computing.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/280525

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice