1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help and support centre opens multiple windows on startup and freezes pc

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wolfee, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolfee

wolfee Thread Starter

Hi,
    I recently re-installed xp pro and have since had this problem on startup which freezes my pc. Help and support windows keep opening rapidly untill I restart my pc. HelpSvc.exe processes dominate the list and continue to open when I view through task manager (which I can only view if I open immediately on startup) and the only way I can stop this is to end process tree, once I have done this everything seems fine. I have tried disabling help and support through services.msc but this only makes the matter worse as pop ups, on start up, telling me help and support is disabled occur even faster than the help and support ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. wolfee

wolfee Thread Starter

thought i'd add that after reading up on this I think it's probably an automatic updates issue. I have/had stopped and disabled automatic updates which I think is somehow directly related to the problem. The odd thing is that upon starting/restarting my pc, if I hit alt, control, del quick enough ie before the taskbar shows and the balloon to tell me automatic updates is turned off, I do not have this problem. Also is svchost.exe related to this problem and is it normal for this process to show up in task manager 5 times. Any thoughts regarding this matter will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Wolfee

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Can you run System Restore either in normal or Safe Mode and revert to a prior date?

You don't need to open Help and Support to get there. Just run msconfig or the command line:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. wolfee

wolfee Thread Starter

Thanks but i've had this problem since installing, (xp pro sp2 with updates 'till feb 06) so can't see that helping. Don't really want to try and install again because there didn't seem like there was a problem while installing first time round.

Cheers

Wolfee

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Post a HijackThis scanlog and we will see if there is anything obvious in the log which is related to it. If nothing, we will try a more extensive startuplist:

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

Question: does the issue occur in a Safe Mode boot? Or in a "clean boot":

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

6. wolfee

wolfee Thread Starter

Hi again, no the problem did not occur in safe mode. not sure what you mean by "clean boot" but if you mean a start rather than a restart then yes it occurs then too, unless, as I said earlier I alt,ctrl, del at earliest opportunity and then it seems fine. Anyway here is the hjt log:-

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 04:37:34, on 28/07/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    D:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\isafe.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe
    D:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
    D:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G\AirGCFG.exe
    D:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\WZCSLDR2.exe
    D:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    D:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    D:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    D:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
    D:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    D:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
    D:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
    D:\Program Files\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.tiscali.co.uk/broadband
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.tiscali.co.uk/broadband
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - D:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiSUSBRG] D:\WINDOWS\SiSUSBrg.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics] "D:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE D:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE D:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [D-Link AirPlus G] D:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G\AirGCFG.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ANIWZCS2Service] D:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\WZCSLDR2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "D:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] D:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] D:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "D:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "D:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
    O9 - Extra button: VC Poker - {40B2063F-DB01-4962-BE63-59435C01283C} - D:\PROGRA~1\VCPOKE~1\client.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - D:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - D:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O23 - Service: CA ISafe (CAISafe) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - D:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\isafe.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - D:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - D:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

cheers

Wolfee

7. wolfee

wolfee Thread Starter

Sorry just seen the other link you posted earlier. will look into clean boot now

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well not a clue in the scanlog.

It's possible the clean boot won't prevent it since in the instructions given you are not disabling any Microsoft services.

You said the problem doesn't occur when you disable automatic updates? Is the computer fully updated? Is the BITS (Background Intelligent Transer) service set to manual? It should be for Automatic updates to work properly.

9. wolfee

wolfee Thread Starter

The problem is with auto updates turned off, I'm updated until feb 06 which is how I intended to leave my system until vista is released.

10. wolfee

wolfee Thread Starter

Anyways any other ideas you have will be much appreciated, but for now I need some sleep. I have been working on this problem through the night now (oh how time fly's when your having fun) and it is nearly 6.00am here in England now so 3 hours kip and i'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for help

Wolfee

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Out of curiosity, with the Windows update service disabled -- if you then manually start it, does it launch the Help and Support windows?

I'm not really clear on what you are reporting in your second post (yes it's normal for there to be multiple svchost.exe entries).

If Auto Updates is turned off, do you get these windows or not -- regardless of whether you ctrl-alt-del? Or does it not happen when updates is enabled?

As for the balloon notifications, there is a way to disable that in the registry if you think that is a part of the problem

12. wolfee

wolfee Thread Starter

Ok let's recap to try and make myself a little clearer. The problem does not occur with updates enabled. With updates disabled the problem occurs on start up. If I open task manager immediately on start up problem does not occur but if I open task manager once problem has started it does not help as the HelpSvc.exe process continues to multiply untill I restart my pc.

Since last post I have tried:-

system restore back to earliest possible which, as expected, failed to help.
    system restored back to current settings.

started pc and just let it run to see what happens - HelpSvc.exe process opens approx 250 times in process list within 5minutes of startup. After 15 - 20 mins HelpSvc.exe processes slowly start closing down. Approx 30 - 40 mins after start up system appears to be ok.

tinkered with settings in options in help and support (yes i can access help and support fine if task manager is open) under change help and support centre options I unchecked the show favourites and show history on navigation bar boxes (dunno why ?) and that seems to have improved things. Now I can start up ok without opening task manager, but now if I try and access help and support I sometimes (but never with task manager open) get the same problem with with HelpSvc.exe opening multiple times. This I can live with as I never use help and support anyway, but am obviously concerned that i'll come across future problems.

Thanks again

Wolfee

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Since all these problems center around Help and Support, if you have your XP CD, you might want to try reinstalling it.

The drill is like this. First ensure that "show hidden files" is enabled in Folder Options > View.

Then navigate to the file:

D:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf

Right click on pchealth.inf and select "install" from the right click menu. Have your XP CD handy.

14. wolfee

wolfee Thread Starter

Hi again, I have tried last suggestion but when it tries to copy files I keep getting files not found messages. I have tried it with both the disc I used for the installation (xp pro with updates 'till feb 06) and a sp2 disc. Is this problem related or am I doing something wrong?

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Try pointing it to d:\windows\servicepackfiles\I386

In fact, look for pchealth.inf in that directory and run it from there.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice