1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help and Support Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tal3152, Aug 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tal3152

tal3152 Thread Starter

When I am going to Help and Support on the Main Menu I am getting an error that Windows cannot find "helpctr.exe" (enclosed print screen). Then it asked me to search for this file which I did find ((enclosed print screen). But when I am clicking on those files nothing happened.
    I am using Windows XP PRO with SP2 Final Version.

Attached Files:

2. mike5532g

mike5532g

Go to Start/Run and type in: helpctr -regserver

or

Go to C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf. Right click and choose install. Have your CD handy.

Note: The folder is hidden by default. Go to Start/Run and type in: control folders. View: Show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide extensions for known file types

3. tal3152

tal3152 Thread Starter

First thank you for the quick reply but
    Code:
    Go to Start/Run and type in: helpctr -regserver
    did not work nothing happened.
    The
    Code:
    Go to C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf. Right click and choose install
    asked me for the file dataspec.xml which I could not get not from C:\WINDOWS\I386 or from my CD. He is looking for this file on the SP2 CD which I don't have, I installed SP2 via a file which I download from the web from a reliable source. The same problem I have with msconfig does not working from run but it's working from the files I found after search. :confused:
    Update: msconfig is back after finding the dataspec.xml in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePack\I386 the reinstall asked me for another file pchdt_w3.cab from SP2 CD so I completed the installation without this file. Then I tried again Help and Support and I got a message to enable this from Administrative Tools Services which I did but I got the message that this specific module cannot be found. On the print screen you will see the path for this so I think I need to change it but I am not sure about the right path.

Attached Files:

4. tal3152

tal3152 Thread Starter

I need the file pchdt_w3.cab to complete the installation of pchealth.inf

5. mike5532g

mike5532g

Fixing XP Help and Support

Others with the same problem haven't had much success finding a resolution. Maybe the reg files at this link will help.

You say you have SP2 installed... did the problem start soon after its installation?
    Many of the helpers on this board are wary of installing sp2 until all the bugs are worked out. This could be one of them.

6. tal3152

tal3152 Thread Starter

Well, I am not sure that this problem was before installing SP2 but as I said when I am trying to reinstall pchealth it asking me for pchdt_w3.cab which I cannot find in SP2 file. Here is what I am planing to do:
    I'll bring back the system to SP1 (system Restore) and I will check the help and msconfig. Then I'l reinstall SP2 with the new file I just downloaded from Microsoft and give you guys an update. :cool:

7. tal3152

tal3152 Thread Starter

Well, I found the file pchdt_w3.cab and was able to reinstall pchealth and msconfig is back from Start run, but Help and Support doesn't respond. I took the system back to SP1 and had the same problems so IT IS NOT SP2 problem and I will redo my system soon.
    I will wait some time to see maybe there is a solution if not it's good to do a format with a fresh installation.
    Thank you mike5532g for your support. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/259795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice