1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Aol Makes My PC Restart.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Gizzy, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gizzy

Gizzy Thread Starter

How come every time I try to start up aol my computer just restarts?

2. alexenjen

alexenjen

uninstall AOL and re-install to repair.

3. Gizzy

Gizzy Thread Starter

I've tried that multiple times but every time I reinstall it it does the same thing.

4. Gizzy

Gizzy Thread Starter

Bump

5. constant

constant

I would like to see a running processes list before you start AOL. Restart your computer then once windows loads and everything

hit alt ctrl del...maximize it and take a screen shot if you could. save it as a jpg then come back here and attach it to a reply.

Or you can go here http://fileprofile.com/Utilities/shell_tools/currprocess/

download and install the shell utility. run that then save it as a txt file, and copy and paste the contents of the text file into your reply here or attach the saved file.

Thanks

6. Gizzy

Gizzy Thread Starter

sorry haven't been on the computer in a bit,
    Hope this is what you mean by running processes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. constant

constant

Yes it is. and i'm sure more then half of those processes don't even need to be running.

Right now, i need some more information though about your computer.

What Windows are you using, Explorer version, and any Anti-Virus Software if not AOL what are using to connect to the internet?

8. Gizzy

Gizzy Thread Starter

I have Windows XP
    Internet Explorer 6.0
    Norton Anti Virus
    and I'm using Optimum Online

9. constant

constant

So, you connect using tcp/ip connection?

I don't see anything too fishy for files, but i know you don't have to load half of those.

I advise you go here http://www.pcpitstop.com/
    Register then login and do a full test of your PC it should find any problems you have and solutions to fix them. It will also show you a list of running processes you have and which you don't have to load up with windows or non-critical files. Some of these could be causing a conflict with AOL as well.

After you've done all that try again and see if it does the same thing after restarting, signin-on the internet and opening AOL.

10. Gizzy

Gizzy Thread Starter

yes I use a tcp/ip connection,
    I did the test and it didn't find anything wrong with my pc,
    and it found a few processes that I could stop but I still can't start up aol,
    it keeps making my pc restart.

11. constant

constant

Which version of AOL are you running?

Also, let me know if the AOL icon comes up when you start your computer in the system tray, and that is how your starting AOL.

This just happens when you open AOL not open it and try to sign-on right?

12. constant

constant

13. constant

constant

If that doesn't work you can also try this.

Make sure on Internet Explorer - settings - connections - you have Never dial a connection picked. If it is close out and do the first step if it isn't choose it and click ok then exit and do this.

To power cycle your computer, modem, and router:
    1. Shut down your computer:

If using Windows XP, click the Start button, then click the Turn Off Computer button. Select Turn Off, then click the OK button.
    If using Windows 98, Windows Me, or Windows 2000, click the Start button, then click Shut Down..., select Shut Down, then click the OK button.
    2. If you use an external modem, unplug the power cord from your cable, DSL, or dial-up modem and, if you have one, your router.
    3. Wait 30 seconds.
    4. If you use an external modem, plug the power cord in to your cable, DSL, or dial-up modem.
    5. If you have a router, plug the power cord in to your router.
    6. Turn on your computer.

If that doesn't fix the problem. You will have to talk to an AOL Technician here

http://livehelp.aol.com/launchvl/launch_tech.asp?qname=AOLWIN

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice