1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help assigning static IP address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by omarestrada, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omarestrada

omarestrada Thread Starter

Hi, I am trying to give an static ip address to a time clock on my network and for some reason when I connect time clock to network it will always get an ip address from a different network. for example my computer IP address is 192.168.2.70 when connected to network, my default gateway is 192.168.2.1, the IP address that the time clock always gets is 192.168.1.120, there is no way to tell the time clock what IP address I wanted to be it has to get it from router (that is what the manufacturer told me), router (16portLiksys) does not have DHCP enabled the guy who set up network left it disabled, on his notes he says server (dell server T110) is acting as router is that true that a server can be acting as router?
    what do guys think is going on here?
    all the computers hooked up to network have static IP address.
    I also notice that when I connect a computer to router it will get an IP address from different network the same as time clock.
    I tried to reserve ip address on router by entering MAC address from time clock but it won't work. I am not very familiar with the server settings I have not try changing settings on server, I am not even sure the guy who set up network is right about using server as router.
    Advice please
    thank you

2. BPCS

BPCS

Check to see that the server is running DHCP. Is DHCP enabled on the router?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1054684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice