1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help before my pc crashes!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by l0rdjuni0r, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. l0rdjuni0r

l0rdjuni0r Thread Starter

Ok, I just got this new laptop and it came with Windows Vista Home Edition. So I been installing programs that I use for work and everything has been going very well. Then I go to install Alcohol 120 It installed all the way then right when it finished I get the blue screen saying its shutting off my computer to avoid any major damage. NOW I know that Alcohol 120, the version I have, is NOT compatible with Windows Vista. When I load the computer up I cant see the desktop but My Documents opens up. So I'm able to get into program files and I go into the alcohol 120 folder and lucky me... there is NO uninstall.exe anywhere. I know all I have to do is get rid of this program (Alcohol 120) and everything should be back to normal. Can anyone give me tips on how to fix this issue I have? If the only way to fix it is with a Vista CD/DVD then so be it. I just got the option to do system repair so I am trying that and maybe I get lucky but I think it wont until I get rid of Alcohol 120. I would appreciate any and all suggestions. Since I can get into the alcohol 120 folder, would it work if I just deleted the entire folder?? Thanks in advance for all your help!!

2. Nick B

Nick B

The progam installs a codec that has issues with windows, so just deleting the folder won't work.

If you can get into the program files, can you get into the control panel (by typing control panel into the address bar)?

3. l0rdjuni0r

Well while i was rebooting and trying to get into the safe mode it gave me the option to do a system recover, and I did. System recover deleted some files from the Alcohol 120 foler and I can now get back in. Basically I can do everything as before only now I dont have a desktop at all. Its all black. But i can get online and I am currently running a full system scan with McAfee. Here is the info I get from the Alcohol CD;

-------------------------------------------------------------------

[WiseInstaller]
    RuntimeVersion=2.0.2600.2
    ProductFile=setup.msi
    ProductCode={E9F81423-211E-46B6-9AE0-38568BC5CF6F}
    ProductVersion=1.9.2.1705
    ProductName=Alcohol 120%
    Remove Previous=1
    AdminError=You must have administrator rights to run this installation.
    Please login as an administrator and re-run this installation.
    ExistError=%s Version %s is already installed. You must uninstall the
    existing version before installing %s Version %s. Do you want to uninstall the existing version of %s?
    SpaceError=Could not create temporary file, not enough free
    temporary disk space. Please free up disk space and rerun this installation.
    WiseInitPrefix=Initializing
    WiseInitSuffix=Wizard...
    Runtime9X=instmsi.exe
    RuntimeNT=instmsiw.exe
    DelayReboot=

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So. There I go. I can do anything I want but with no desktop at all. This is very strange. I miss my XP :( lol
    Thanks for the help buddy! I hope I get this taken care of. And you can be sure of me checking for any and every program I install to be compatible with Vista. This is a first for me.

4. Nick B

Nick B

From any sort of system folder, you should be able to find your way into the control panel, from there you can get to the system restore (and go back to before you installed it) or remove alcohol 120.

5. l0rdjuni0r

YOU are the MAN!!!! I didnt know how to get to it since I am in no way familiar with Vista but now im going to be very careful!! Thanks alot for the help!! Problem is fixed and I have my desktop back!! Thank you NICK B!!! This forum ROCKS!! :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice