1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! Beginner can't browse my photos using Olympus Master anymore ! -

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Jason123, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jason123

Jason123 Thread Starter

:confused:I am hoping someone can help me with this issue.

I have a digital Olympus FE-115 camera and we use the software that came with the camera to browse and upload our photos. The software is called Olympus Master, ver 1.42.

For some reason, when I open the Olympus Master to browse photos, almost all of my photos are gone, there are only 5-10 photos remaining.
    However, I can see that the photos are still on my harddrive when I locate them using "explore all users" in XP.

I am not sure what happened to them. I did recently upgrade from IE 6.0 to IE 7.0 and also was trying to upload photos to my ipod using "explore all users." In between these actions and now the problem occurred, but I can't pinpoint exactly when, since we only upload photos every few week.

Does anyone know how to make my photos to become viewable again using the "Browse" function in the Olympus Master software ???

From what I can tell the photos are still located in the same spot as they always have been.

Here is the path for the photos:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Jason\Applicatio n Data\OLYMPUS\OLYMPUS Master\store\200612011202 07

thanks for any help.

If no one can answer the question, do you know any other forums that might help ??
    thanks!!!
    Jason.

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

sounds like you need to reassociate the photos with the Olympus software

If you goto the path you posted ...right click and select open with>choose program...does the Olympus software show...

3. Jason123

Jason123 Thread Starter

Buck - thanks. Sorry I am so illiterate about this stuff. You said to go to the path I indicated... then right click and select open with>choose program, etc....

Can you tell me where I would go to find this path ?

Are you referring to just browsing my folders via R. clicking the start button, then 'explore all users?" I did that, but didn't see any option to open with olympus software. Basically, I drilled down to the actual folder that contains the photos...which is called "store,". There are a bunch of sub-folders organized by date that containt the individual photos.
    The only program I saw was "browse with paint shop pro 8."

I am looking in the correct place for the option to open with the Olympus software ??

Here is a strange twist - we took some photos today and uploaded them to my harddrive - with the same path and location as the missing photos...and we can browse the photos we took today in the Olympus Master software, but not the photos that have dissapeared.

thanks !

Jason.

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

If you click on one of the pictures in question does it open just not with Olympus?

if so...right click on an individual photo and point to "open with" if the Olympus software is in the list highlite it and then put a ckeck in the box that says always use this program

5. Jason123

Jason123 Thread Starter

-----------
    Thanks, I was able to get it working again. I appreciate the feedback.

One other question... My wife and I would like to get a new digital camera. I know that most of the cameras now come with their own viewing and uploading software, etc. When I get the new camera, can I just drag my photos from their old path ( from the olympus software), into the new file destination ( depending on what type of camera we get?). Can you recommend any digital cameras in the $200-250.00 range?

thanks again for your help.

Jason.,

6. buck52

buck52 Banned

personally I wouldn't use any software that came with any camera.. your picture shouldn't be dependant on the Olympus software, if they are in the windows system they should be viewable with anything including windows explorer

there are many far better free editor/viewers available... Irfanview or Picasa are two that come to mind...

have a look thru this sticky thread that is at the top of this forum for many others...

here a link... http://forums.techguy.org/digital-photography-imaging/496808-look-here-first-free-photo.html

The only thing I suggest as far as a camera goes is for you to go somewhere that you can hold it and test it a little bit to see if it feels good to you. Most of the name brands make good cameras...

here are two good links for reviews...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    http://www.dpreview.com/

7. Jason123

Jason123 Thread Starter

Thanks, Buck52 - I appreciate the help/advice. Jason

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!