1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help, Bios Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by angieb, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angieb

angieb Thread Starter

I'm using Win XP SP2 . I installed a second CD rom drive which was obviously no good because it caused the other one which is perfectly ok to show up in the bios as an unknown device. Both showed up in the bios as unknown device but the the first still showed up in system hardware the second one didn't.

I removed the second one from the computer and the first one then showed up accordingly in the bios as the proper device but the bios is still saying the second one is an unknown device. Every time I start my computer I get the message secondary device missing press the F1 key to continue.

Can somebody please help! :confused: How do I get the bios back to its original setting.

Thanks angieb:

2. LitomoSilver

LitomoSilver

Remove the CMOS battery...the battery in your motherboard that is the size, roughly of a nickel and leave it out for a few minutes, then put it back in...which will reset your BIOS to the default setting...you'll have to recustomize the BIOS to your preferred setting again after that.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

Check the jumper settings on both drives . . one should be set as Master . . one as Slave . .

4. angieb

angieb Thread Starter

Thanks will try that. Just hope I can find it not that familiar with the motherboard yet.

angieb

5. angieb

angieb Thread Starter

already did that before I installed second drive thats what makes me think theres something wrong with the cd rom. Don't think its the lead either its a fairly new computer.

Thanks anyway i'll try the battery in the motherboard fingers crossed.

angieb

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!