1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

<<HELP Black Screen Of Death>>

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mufc123, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mufc123

mufc123 Thread Starter

hi
    so i dont know much about computers so no fancy talk thanks.

heres my problem i have a HP computer, windows 7
    my computer was walking all fine until suddenly switched it on next day and it says window is loading
    but when its done it just have a black screen with a cursor icon that i can move.

ive tried google help and youtubing it but to no avail. because ctrl alt delete dont work when i press it nothing pops up.

i tried system restore but it cant find system restore point. i dont want to reinstall everything if theres any to fix it without that
    would be much appreciated

thanks im loosing my mind trying to find out how to fix it

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, you need to list your exact specs. Since this is a hp, post the model #.

Next can you enter the bios?

Does the machine complete post [pw ON self test ie the part where you see the amount of ram, type cpu, etc]

3. mufc123

mufc123 Thread Starter

sorry but i got know idea what you want me to do
    but its a hp
    model: s5325uk

thanks

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, if you want to attempt to fix the problem you are going to have to do some basic troubleshooting. First read your manual and find out how to enter setup/bios. POST is exactly what I posted; does the system show cpu installed, amount of ram, etc OR sometimes you just see the maker's splash screen. Do you see this then the windows loading screen?

If so, can you enter safe mode [F8 key when you first see the windows logo]

5. mufc123

mufc123 Thread Starter

on the advanced tab it says
    CPU type:Intel (R) Core(TM) i3 CPU
    530 e 2.93GHz
    CPU speed: 2.93GHz
    cache ram (L2): 512kb
    cache ram (L3): 4096 KB

i dont know whats a makers splash screen??

i tried going to safemode before but it doesnt work it still goes to the black screen but with a bigger cursor icon

thanks

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK from what I can tell from your posts you have either a corrupted windows install OR a corrupted mbr. The very first thing I would do would be to pull the hard drive out and attempt to copy/backup whatever is important to you ie docs, pics, etc.

If you do not have anything important on the drive, then we can skip that step.

Next do you have full MS install dvd for win7 or do you just have the hp recovery disks?

7. mufc123

mufc123 Thread Starter

are u sure i i have to reinstall everything??

yh i got to back up some files, and i dont have a hp recovery disc or windows 7 cd help???

thanks

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, I am not sure you have to install everything. As I said the very first thing to do is pull the drive and backup whatever you want. It is up to you however before messing with mbr or attempting to repair an install, the best thing to do is backup anything important.

Remember data you do not backup is data you do not care about.

9. mufc123

mufc123 Thread Starter

how do i pullout the driver??

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Not driver, hard drive. Open case and remove data and pw cables. Remove screws holding in the drive and remove. Reverse procedure to install.

Once you are sure your data is safe, then boot with a windows 7 repair disk. Note you are going to have to create the boot disk on a working win7 system. Set your bios to boot from the optical drive ie dvd as first boot device. Save settings and restart with the boot disk in the drive.

Post back after you have copied your files and made a win7 repair disk.

11. mufc123

mufc123 Thread Starter

hi

so ive fixed it by using cd and reinstalling everything thanks

but its like kinda slow and lags and when try to import dv it says update driver card but i dunno how to do that help??

thanks

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First go to the hp site and download the required drivers. You need at least the following; chipset/mb driver, video driver, sound, nic driver [may not be needed]

Install in this order;
    1 Update to latest service pack [sp1 for win7]
    2 Install chipset driver
    3 Install sound, nic/lan drive IF needed
    4 Install video driver
    5 Once done and working, you need to activate windows then do all critical windows updates.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1005327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice