Help Black screen w/missing files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ejolly

I can't go into my computer when I turn my computer on I get a black screen with the following on it.
"The following file is missing or corrupted C:\ESSAUDIO.SYS

ATAPI IDE CD-ROM device driver version V 1.23B
1 drive(s) detected
Unit 1, MASTER, IRQ 15, I/O address 0x0170

The following file is missing or corrupted: COMMAND.COM

The following file is missing or corrupted: COMMAND.COM
Type the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g., C\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)
C>C:\ESSAUDIO.SYS

The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\ESSAUDIO.SYS
Type the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g.,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
C>C: COMMAND.COM

The following file is missing or corrupted: C: COMMAND.COM
Typw the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
C>

Please I don't know what to do I can't delete any thing or enter anything. Please help me step by step. I thank you so very much.:(

The first thing you can try is to run Scandisk. If you have a Windows 98 startup disk boot up with that. If not you can download one from here:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Use Windows 98SE OEM. Just click on it and it'll extract the files to a clean floppy.

After booting up at the A:\ prompt type:

C: [hit enter]

When at the C:\ prompt type:

cd windows\command [hit enter] (There's a space between cd and windows)

You should now be at the C:\Windows\Command prompt. From there type:

scandisk [hit enter]

Let it do its thing, when it's finished hold down ctrl\alt\del and let it boot up normally without the startup disk and see if you can get back in.

ejolly

I don't know or can't do anything with the screen I type stuff in where the cusor is and press enter and it keeps repeating the commands I guess you call them. I can't get into the computer at all or rather past this black screen. I really thank you for trying to help me don't know how to start for I don't have a boot disk.

Can you download a bootdisk from the link I provided? What you would do is place the startup disk in the Floppy drive prior to turning on the computer. It should boot up on its own at that point and take you to the A:\ prompt. You'll also get an option menu as its booting, press boot without CD Rom support.

ejolly

I am so sorry for taking up your time but I am really frustrated and I've been up all night. I don't have a floppy with the info. I need and I'm afraid I'll mess up my Husbands computer by trying to copy something. The bootdisk I went to was to complicated for me, there are to many options I didn't know which one to choose (mirror, 1, 2, 3.) again THANK YOU. You just can't imagine how grateful I am for you trying to help me.

You're welcome, it's no problem helping you out.

What you can do is right click the link below and "save target as" to the hard drive:

http://www.mbhs.edu/~jaosborn/boot98se.exe

Next place an empty floppy disk in the drive then click on the downloaded program and it'll automatically extract the files to the floppy. You're going to need that disk because another possible solution is to transfer system files to the hard drive off of it. It's very simple to do but running scandisk is what you should do first.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online