1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Boost Signal of my D-Link DIR-615

Discussion in 'Networking' started by resident2b, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. resident2b

resident2b Thread Starter

i'm looking to boost my signal of my d-link dir-615 to other end of house and hook up with another desktop and roku receiver for netflix.

i can't change location of my router (dsl/phone line problems).

i can't modify antenna (because i can't remove my router's antenna).

i didn't have success with my netgear erthnet extender kit (because how my wall sockets are configured in the house).

i'm looking to spend less than $100 and i need it to be fast enough to stream hd seamlessly, hopefuly. thanks in advance.

2. cybersloth

cybersloth

strange that a d-link has a perminent ant, can you put a bigger ant on the other end.

you could move the router, just not your modem, if you get a longer cat5.

this is a picture of a dlink DIR-615 i found online, is this not the same as yours, this one has removable antenas, it is a threded conection, you can see the grips where they connect to the router.

cybersloth...

Attached Files:

3. resident2b

thanks for replying. i've read that some hardware versions of dir-615 actually are removable, but i've also read that there are some that are not. i have hardware version c, which, unfortunately, i think is not removable.

i did consider moving the router, but in order to accommodate the areas i need to in the house, it would have to be a long cable. and i'm not sure if it would look aesthetically pleasing.

i really feel like i'm at my wits end with the dir-615 and am almost at the point of just giving up and getting a new router- something that's more powerful and something i can remove the antenna and modify it with an indoor omnidirectional antenna- if need be. nevertheless, i think this might be the last time i choose d-link though.

i attached some pics of my antenna.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. resident2b

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's gotta be the explanation. My DIR-615 ver B2 has removable antennas. The pictures you showed of yours look a whole lot like the non-removable ones on my Belkin router.

Just throwing out another idea--sometimes it's possible to get an ethernet cable where you want it by going up to the attic or down to the basement, sometimes along a heating duct or an existing cable.

6. resident2b

thanks for the advice. looks like i have limited options with this router. if i do run the ethernet cable, i might as well do it soon while the weather is still cool up in the attic.

7. cybersloth

cybersloth

When you want to transfer large amounts of data or stream HD video I would always recoment wireing it, while wireless is cool it is slow and can be flakey, also make sure you dont have any other devices like cordless phones that might be causing interferance, and you could try diferent wireless chanells, this is a setting on the router.

although it's usualy recomended to avoid running data next to power, it's ok if they cross paths but running paralell can cause interferance.

8. resident2b

thanks for the input. unfortunately and fortunately, i gave up and upgraded my router. i got the dual band dir-628. it made a huge difference in every respect. better range, power, etc. but thanks to everyone who tried to help. i really appreciated it.

9. cybersloth

cybersloth

That cool, don't forget to mark this thred as solved..

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914293

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice