Status
Not open for further replies.

Help: Boost Usb Mobile Broadband

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  tuscanmotorist 
#1 ·
:down::confused:

I struggle to post this.
1. because its on the boundry of what Tech Guy is all about and

2 Its tugging at my very manhood to admit moving house cost me a cable connection :eek: for a little white Vofdafone USB mobile broadband STICK :p

I'll use other Forums to ***** :down:about Telstra and the lack of real broadband in downtown urban Australia

What I really need is any help out there on adding aerials to Mobile wireless just to hopefully score a stable ( but slow ) 3G Broadband connection. :confused:

If you dont feel the pain try missing the Beta of Windows 7 cos your dialup was needed for a girlfriends call..not me but thats how it feels.... Funny perhaps but stories that life will go on are just that... Stories oublished overcable or DSL II :(

Help your fellow man 4 tomorrow U 2 could have "contention drop off" believe me it Hurts:D

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Richard

A useful thread.

I will use whirlpool to see if there is anything that can be done to get around the Telstra service being through a RIM that does not support ADSL

Last night I received an aerial from Cellit ( Sydney) It's a 5dB magnetic base 3G and GSM tuned unit that would usually stick to the roof of your rental or second car.
The key though is they also supplied a proximity type connection for the USB modem.

one rubber band later ( though the unit has a propper velcro pad ) the aerial our through the corner of the security screen and stck to the guttering and I have 1 to two extra bars of signal. Thats on a very rough too Vodafone provide and out of 5 units so its a very reasonable gain.

I doubt signal alone is my problem rather contention for cell connections but with luck the extra signal will keep my connection higher on the pecking order when the site drops connections.

I will give it a few days and post my findings.

cheers Lawrence :rolleyes:

#5 ·
:)Over a week now with the addition of a 5dB aerial.
The connection is a proximity pickup and the aerial is magnetically attached to the roof above my office. No more than 3m coax and only one joint ( take care this matters, more length or added connections and you will be going backwards)

1-2 bars on the rough vodafone scale is now consistentky 3 bars ( out of five )

Signal stength has gone form poor to very good.

Speed is around 1k of the 1,5 kb capability they state for the usb modem

Still get dropped by the network perhaps twice a day not twice every 15 minutes.

CABLE it aint !!! but its way way better than it was.

Bernardette at CelIT ( Sydney company) is worth the call at around $50 for the setup delivered. http://www.cellit.com.au/store. ( and I am just a happy client so no puish here)

I wouldnt push ablove the 5dB aerial unless you are way out of reach. It is omni directional but once you get past 5dB you really need to point straight at the cell site because you really shape the signal pattern/

cheers Lawrence

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.