Help Booting Live CD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nea`de

Hi, I wanted to switch to Ubuntu Linux 7.04 yesterday, but I was experiencing some problems. I had searched up a guide to teach me how to Download Ubuntu, burn it as an Image, and install it. But I reached the point of Booting the cd off the CD ROM, and I couldn't. I tried it but it completely disregarded the cd and booted up WinXP. So I looked up some trouble shooting steps. I figured my Bios Boot setup was wrong, so I changed the priority to CD ROM first and Hard drive Last. I tried several times after that but to no avail. I contacted HP to ask for help, but when I mentioned that the Cd was to install Ubuntu Linux, they started to freak out, saying that HP systems don't technically Support Linux. I've have also read that you need to press some buttons so that you can boot a CD, but I don't know which ones. I am currently running on a HP Pavilion 511w. Please help me, Thank you.

It sounds like the ISO may be bad or not an ISO at all. When you burned your image (iso) what software did you use? (Nero?) Also sometimes when you burn your ISO you need to burn it at the slowest burn speed of your burner. I know that sounds weird, but it makes a better ISO.

Look at the CD in XP. What do you see there? If you see the iso file that you downloaded, you did not burn it correctly. You need to go to the Nero menu and find the option to burn an image rather than just burn the file as a data file.

Once you're sure the ISO is good, I've heard of some users who disable the hard drive in the BIOS and have success that way. Good luck!

Nea`de

Well I checked it and it was a ISO.. I download it again and burned it at 4x speed... I disabled my Harddrive.. now I get a No Operating System Installed, and when I press enter it makes some weird noise in my computer's inside then repeats the message.. I guess I won't be getting Ubuntu ={ .. Is there anything else at all that I could try? ... If you have an HP please tell me how you did it.. and how your BIOS is setup... I have a Phoenix CMOS..

If you are using Nero v5+ it will be under file>burn image - v6+ will be under recorder>burn image ------ highlite the iso and click burn.

Nea`de: Ubuntu will also send you CDs in the mail for free. I've never had a problem with one of the disks that they have sent me.
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
Although it does take about 6-10 weeks, but it's definitely worth the wait, IMO.

Depending on when you order them. I've gotten mine in less time than that.

I guess it also matters how close you live to Isle of Man, also.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online