1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help. BSOD on boot up all of a sudden, have tried everything

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by erockgineer, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erockgineer

erockgineer Thread Starter

Good afternoon, I'm hoping someone can help me. Up until now I've felt like an advanced computer user but I cannot fix this problem and I'm losing confidence. I have a Dell 8400 running windows XP. It has an 80GB hard drive for the OS and a 2 TB hard drive for media. It's used only for watching movies and shows and browsing basic internet. It has run perfect for quite some time.

I decided I wanted to upgrade the memory. It has 2GB now, I inserted 2 more GB to bring it to its maximum of 4GB. When I turned it on I had a warning that I cannot combine non-ecc memore with ecc memory. So I turned it off and verified that I indeed accidentally installed ecc memory when my computer only takes non-ecc. So I figured it wasn't a big deal and just removed it.

When I turned my computer on again for the first time it went through the standard boot process, then to the screen that said my Windows was not shut down properly and it asked to boot into one of the safe modes, last known working settings, or start windows normally. We've all seen this screen.

So "No Matter Which" option I choose it instantly goes to a blue screen of death showing a stop error code of Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF78A2528 .... ) the rest of the parameter codes are zeros. I feel like I've tried everything but just can't get it past that. This computer was running fine before hand. I've verified in my BIOS that the computer is recognizing both hard drives. But when I tried to use my Windows XP CD to do a recovery, windows won't recognize my hard drives (it says no hard disk found). That might be that issue with Windows XP not being able to recognize SATA controllers, so I'm going to try to put the Dell drivers onto a USB and use the F6 command to fix that part.

But I just don't see how putting in the new memory and immediately taking it out when I saw the warning has changed or messed up anything. I've checked all the SATA cables and replaced them with spares, but that didn't change anything.

Does anyone have ANY ideas of what I can do to try and get this puppy to get past the blue screen of death??

Thanks a million

2. hssonline

hssonline

can you attach the minidump files

3. erockgineer

Thank you for the reply. I'm heading home shortly. and I'll post it soon. One question though, I've seen minidump mentioned on here several times, but I'm not quite sure how to do it. Could you direct me to a thread or page where I can learn how to do it? I don't want to waste your time explaining it to me. I have no problem learning how. THanks

4. hssonline

hssonline

Which operating system you are using ... XP or windows 7.

Try to run chkdsk/r using recovery console ...it might resolve your issue.

5. erockgineer

It's running Windows XP. Also I already removed the hard drive and attached it to another computer using a hard drive dock. The hard drive comes up just fine like nothing is wrong and I ran a full check disk on it (with box tick boxes checked) and it came back with zero errors.

I "cannot" run the recovery using the original Windows XP cd because of the issue I'm having with it not recognizing the hard disk during the initiation of the Windows XP software. I'm trying to fix that now using the F6 key and SATA drivers downloaded from dell.com.

What about the minidump....how do I do that?

At this point I'm performing process of elimination, considering it boots up to the bios fine and can run at least the beginning of the Windows XP software from the CD, I'm assuming the motherboard and processor are good, probably even the RAM. Am I wrong to assume this?

6. hssonline

hssonline

c:\windows\minidump location for minidump files

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1062284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice