1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help building video editing computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Juice13610, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Juice13610

Juice13610 Thread Starter

So, we typically order between 2 laptop and 2 desktop models when we receive a request. Today we got a special request from a user wanting to build a video editing machine. Here is what the request read;

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor - 3.0 GHz 12 MB L2 cache
    GeForce 9800 GT
    Two 750 GB hard drives (7200 RPM)
    EVGA 132-YW-E178-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI FTW ATX Intel mobo
    8 GB RAM
    Vista 64 bit version

Could somebody tell me if any of this is impractical? I don't know enough about processors or motherboards to have an opinion, but I know we use the 9800 GTs a lot. I don't even know if that mobo will handle 8 GB RAM, but from what I've read, I'm guessing not. Also, is Vista 64 bit really going to give a big advantage of XP?

2. Compiler

Compiler

A bit confused? You're in purchasing and someone in your company needs a video editing system?

The configuration you showing is more of gaming system.

1 - Quad core is handy. The difference between 2.6~3.0Ghz is minimal, but that is up to your company / buyer.

2 - 9800GT is a gaming card. With the current enginnering defects with Gefore G82~G94 chips... I'd get an ATI. ATI 4650/70 card is recommended.

3 - HDs, those will work.

4 - A gaming motherboard? A motherboard with the P35 chipset is perhaps the most stable on the market. Costs about $100... vs $250~350 for an SLi board.

5 - Yes, 8GB is possible... Takes 4 sticks of 2GB modules... but for VIDEO editing, that much memory is rarely used.... but with Vista, go for it.

6 - 64bit vista is the way to go.

3. Juice13610

Compiler; I never got to thank you for your post. I went into surgery the day after you posted and just got back on my feet! I'm sure more questions are coming; thank you very much.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Video editing is cpu/ram intensive NOT video card intensive. You can save some money by going with a mid-level card rather than a high end video card.

I do agree that for an intel build, use a quality board with an intel chipset. There is never a need for sli for video editing. FWIW sli is nothing more than a gimmick anyway.

If you are going to use 8gig of ram, then you need a 64bit os. Personally I use vista enterprise 64bit and I am very happy with the way it performs. I have used both 32bit and 64bit versions of enterprise on my system and the 64bit just seems a little quicker / more responsive.

5. Juice13610

Thanks crjdriver; Do you have any suggestions for a motherboard?

6. matthew0155

matthew0155

just buy a mac, pre built video editing machine!

7. Juice13610

No.

8. Juice13610

The user is now requesting RAID. I think we should use RAID 1 so everything is mirrored. I am not comfortable with RAID 0 because there is too good a probability of one of the drives going bad. Is there a way to use RAID 1, but with 4 hard drives? If I use 2 750GB hard drives, as requested, they will only have 750GB of HD space with RAID 1. So can I use 4 hard drives and RAID 1 to get 1.5 TB of space?

9. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Is the user's work that mission critical that he needs up to the minute backups of everything? Why not just use two 1.5TB drives??

Actually, if it was me, I'd use a 500gb HD for the OS, work apps, etc.
    Use two 1TB HDs in RAID 1 for data files, videos, musics, pictures, etc.
    and get program to image the "system" drive to "storage" drive weekly.

Or not use RAID at all and just use one of the 1TB HDDs as the "backup" drive and image both "system" and "storage" HDDs weekly.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sure, you can setup raid01 with four drives or raid5 with three drives. In any case may sure they understand that raid of any type is NOT a backup plan. It is hardware redundant ONLY. It does nothing for a bad driver install, virus, malware, etc, etc. Unless you use a real raid card, you have the additional problem of what do you do when the mb dies? You cannot just transfer your array to a new board unless the new board has the same type of onboard controller which is not likely after a few years.

As for motherboards, I have had very good luck with a foxconn MARS board. Note foxconn does the mfg for intel. So when you buy an intel board, it was made by foxconn. One other item; foxconn builds high end boards AND they also build cheap boards so I would go with one of the quality line of boards.

11. Juice13610

I don't want to change up the whole story, but here's what the specs for this software is;
    http://www.studica.com/products/product_detail.cfm?productid=53038
    Some highlights are;
    ntel® Pentium® 4 (1.4GHz processor for DV; 3.4GHz processor for HDV), Intel Centrino®, Intel Xeon® (dual 2.8GHz processors for HD), or Intel Core™ Duo (or compatible) processor; SSE2-enabled processor required for AMD systems
    # Dedicated 7,200 RPM hard drive for DV and HDV editing; striped disk array storage (RAID 0) for HD; SCSI disk subsystem preferred
    # Microsoft DirectX or ASIO compatible sound card
    # 1,280x1,024 monitor resolution with 32-bit video card; Adobe recommended graphics card for GPU-accelerated playback
    # Some 3D features in Adobe Photoshop® CS3 Extended require a DirectX 9 capable graphics card with at least 64MB of VRAM; for OpenGL support, an Adobe After Effects® supported OpenGL 2.0 card (NVIDIA recommended)

Do you think there is a video editing PC out there somewhere for me that I could just order to these specifications?

12. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Tons of PCs have the needed level of hardware video editing. The exception in those specs is if you are going after the Hi-def video editing. Did you notice how much higher the specs are for HDV?

Assuming HD video, you want a minimum of 256 MB (512 better) of memory on the video card that is either installed or that you add. No shared video memory. The other critical component is the CPU. Core 2 Duo 6600 and up is good. The more powerful the processor, the faster the rendering of video will take place and the better the video scrubbing (fast previewing while editing) will be though the speed of scrubbing is dependent on the encoded format of the video as well. There is the law of diminishing returns though, as you go up the cost scale the rate of rendering does not keep pace. Three gigs of memory and either 32 bit or 64 is fine but to future-proof it might be a good idea to go with 64-bit as editing programs are improved to take advantage of more and more RAM if its available and the video project is enormous, which it can become if its HD.

Hard drives are flexible. You can arrange them any way you want to emphasize I/O speed if desired but as mentioned, at the end of the day, have a seperate backup system in place to compliment any RAID configuration you might choose to run.

I think things are going to change quite a bit in the next few years (like they haven't already right?) where more and more rendering emphasis will be placed on the GPU and not the CPU but for now when it comes to rendering, its almost all CPU.

If you wait just a bit, and I mean like just a few weeks, the Nahalem cpu will be coming out in new builds and every indication is that it will tear the barn doors off, making at least as big a jump over core 2 quad systems as core 2 duo made over single core processors.

13. Compiler

Compiler

Specs of the software says RAID0 for HD. Not sure why they demand RAID0 - but the software could be picky to know the difference... but shouldn't. If this was 3-5+ years ago, that would be more understanding. Anyways, even the newer version 4 says RAID0 is required for HD video.

You need to ask about this.

So a single HD for the OS / Software - Go with XP-Pro, 2~4GB of RAM.... if working with HD video, perhaps 2x 1TB drives. You need to know how much video are they going to be working with. External solutions for backing up or storing completed video projects... etc.

For a motherboard, a gigabyte with a P35 chipset. Get a quad core CPU.

14. Juice13610

We won't be creating HD videos so I dont think I'm so concerned with the RAID part. I think I like the idea of having one HD for the OS and the rest for storage. I just wish I knew more about building PCs :'(

15. Compiler

Compiler

Why are you building it then? Just use the specs here, go to a reputable local PC shop and have them build you a computer... or a business class Dell or Lenovo.

Your parts list is complete, so you order and build or buy a pre-built.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/763337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice