1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help burning home-made DVD's

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by gurutech, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

I have a home made DVD which is an 8gb dual layer, and I need to transfer this to a 4.7gb DVD because for some reason my home DVD player won't play the dual layer, but will play other single layers that I've created.

The problem is that I can only seem to create an ISO file of the dual layer, which is fine, and I don't have the .MOD files (plays in WMP11) from my video camera any more, so I would have to re-create the AVI files or some other format, so they will take up less room and be able to fit onto a single layer DVD.

Can anyone recommend a free program that will convert a home made DVD into AVI or DivX files that I can just copy back onto another DVD?

Thanks!

2. nessyguin

nessyguin

DVD Shrink springs to mind though I've never used it to compress a dual layer before .....

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Are you saying you have Divx certified playback capability?
    If so there's a 15 day free trial use of the Divx converter from www.divx.com or there's AutoGK (auto gordian knot).

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

What is on this DVD? DVD compliant files (VIDEO_TS folder)?

5. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

Yes, I converted a bunch of home videos using Vista's DVD Maker, and that made a DVD, and I put it on a dual layer disk, then deleted the home videos (my bad).

Now I need to re-burn the DVD onto a single layer, so I can send the home movies to relatives. I sent to my mom on a dual layer disk, and for some reason her DVD player won't play it (although mine does).

I just don't want other relatives to have the same problem.

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Well hopefully the quality won't suffer too much.

If you have Nero, use Recode.

DVDShrink (free) will work. Set Quality settings to 'Perform Deep Analysis" and tick 'Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation'

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/DVD-Shrink-Download-4128.html

For the best results use DVD Rebuilder (the free version). During setup you only need to tell it to configure HCenc (one of the best encoders out there and also free). Once running set HCenc to 'Best'. It will take quite a long time, but the results are as good as you can get.

Note Recode and DVDShrink will read the disk, for Rebuilder copy your disk to a HD folder.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75452

For final burning to disc, ImgBurn (free) is the best. It will also help you get updates for your burner's firmware if you like.

http://www.imgburn.com/

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice