1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help buying memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jeff11214, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jeff11214

Jeff11214 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Poweredge T110 with 4gb (1gbx4) of RAM. I'm looking to upgrade to 8gb (2gbx4).
    I was browsing eBay and found the same specs of RAM, but it states it is for a desktop.
    My question is will this work in my server being they have identical specs?

Specs:
    DDR3 PC3-10600 ECC Unbuffered 240pin

2. Megabite

Megabite

First you must have a 64bit Operating System to utilize the extra Memory......and personally I never buy memory from Ebay myself.

3. Jeff11214

Jeff11214 Thread Starter

The operating system is 64bit. And, I have purchased memory on eBay for many workstations with no issues.

My question is really about the specs and terminology/label between "desktop memory" and "server memory". Is there a difference between the two if the specs are identical or is it just a label that someone is calling it?

Thanks

4. Megabite

Megabite

5. Jeff11214

Jeff11214 Thread Starter

Thanks Megabite, but I have already read that info and it still does not answer my question.

I understand that desktop pc's use non-ECC and servers use ECC, but my question is if memory is listed as "desktop memory" and has the exact SAME specs as "server memory", is it really the same?

Thanks

6. Megabite

Megabite

The question is will that memory work on your Motherboard......and not together so you would have to have one or the other installed.

Go here and download Scanner then run it and see...this is UK one but they have a US version too

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/index.aspx

7. Jeff11214

Jeff11214 Thread Starter

You're right. The question is will that memory work on the motherboard. I don't plan on mixing the memory. I plan on replacing all 4 modules.

Unfortunately, the scanner can't answer my question whether or not the memory listed as "desktop memory" and "server memory" with the same exact specs are truly the same memory.

You might be missing the point to my question.

Here are the memory specs:
    240-pin DIMM
    DDR3 PC3-10600 CL=9
    Unbuffered ECC DDR3-1333 1.5V

Both the "desktop memory" and "server memory" have the identical specs as listed above.
    Are they truly the same memory then?

Thanks

8. Megabite

Megabite

No I'm not missing the point...Ebay is not a site that would believe the specs ...that is just me....Server memory is more expensive than normal memory......if you want to remove all the memory and replace it with lower cost memory then my guess is it should work.......but many people I know have had problems using Ebay and getting memory that doesn't work but the choice is yours.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice