1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help buying power supply.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by royy2, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. royy2

royy2 Thread Starter

I need a Power Supply for a Gateway computer. The Gateway part #'s are 6500470,6500525 and the brand name of the power supply is Newton NPS-250CB A.
    Can I use any ATX power supply for this computer, or does is have to be a specific one? Does one fit all? Anyone have a link for a cheap one that will fit? Thanks.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Royy2
    Here is a webpage that breaks down the Gateway PS.
    http://www.power-on.com/gateway.html
    Look for the section listed below:

Gateway spares 6500525, 6500583, and 6500652 replace with ATX12V-300PN .

Application notes:
    (1) Newton NPS-250CB A, NPS-250CB B, and NPS-250HB A are common original equipment for above spare numbers.
    (2) Original unit may have 3 pin connector for board control of power supply fan. Replacement part operates without this connector.

Hope that helps you.

Dave

3. royy2

royy2 Thread Starter

Thanks much!

4. kingcobweb

kingcobweb

Cheap ones are very bad. They are prone to power fluctations- meaning you risk frying your motherboard, video card, hard drive, fans, and everything else. The better ones have decent surge protectors, and are also usually quieter, have a better fan and are generally more reliable. I would check reviews of PSU's:overclockersclub.com is quite good (reviews on the left-hand nav bar).

5. jydiver

jydiver

Hi royy2,

Did you try calling gateway? I needed a psu that looked just like the one in Davey7549's link a while back, gateway had it, got it to me in less than a week and only charged me around $40

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice