1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help buying right laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by r_khan, May 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. r_khan

r_khan Thread Starter

Hello,
    i will be a college senior and i am thinking about buying a laptop. i am sick of all the deskspace a desktop takes up, so laptops are in my thoughts right now.

anyway...i don't really know which ones are the best or worst, good priced, bargais, or overpriced, etc. i have had a compaq presario for the last 3-4 years and its a good computer, however, it had problems in which i had to backup my entire harddrive ( more than 30GB of info) onto CD's and reinstall them...not a good way to spend about 2 days.

anyway, i want a laptop that is pretty lightweight, more than 40GB of storage, good graphics card to play games, DVD/RW (if possible) if not, DVD/CD-RW combo, good screen display (15 inches), Fast processor (i don't knwo what the norm is today, but i am thinking 2.0GHz or above) appealing to the eye and good price.

I found a site that said the following laptops are good for students, but i don't think these are the latest...

Best Laptops - Education
    For students, the best laptops have to be flexible, balancing between long battery life, multimedia features, and easy portability.
    · Compaq Presario 2575US (Pentium 4, 2.66 GHz, 15 in. display, 512 MB RAM, CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo)
    · Toshiba Satellite 5205-S705 (Pentium 4-M, 2.4 GHz, 15 in. display, 512 MB RAM, CD-RW/DVD+RW combo)
    · Sony Vaio PCG-V505BC1 (Pentium 4, 2 GHz, 12.1 in. display, 256 MB RAM, CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo)
    · Fujitsu LifeBook P2120 (Transmeta Crusoe TM5800, 933 MHz, 10.6 in. display, 256 MB RAM, CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo)
    · Acer TravelMate 653LCi (Pentium 4-M, 2 GHz, 15 in. display, 256 MB RAM, CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo)
    · IBM ThinkPad R31 2656 (Celeron, 1.13 GHz, 14.1 in. display, 128 MB RAM, CD-ROM)
    · Apple iBook (700 MHz, 14.1 in. display, 256 MB RAM, CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo)

please help....

thank you!

2. aolsux

aolsux Banned

3. Mulderator

Mulderator

Personally, I like Dell. From your list, I like:

· Toshiba Satellite 5205-S705 (Pentium 4-M, 2.4 GHz, 15 in. display, 512 MB RAM, CD-RW/DVD+RW combo)
    · Sony Vaio PCG-V505BC1 (Pentium 4, 2 GHz, 12.1 in. display, 256 MB RAM, CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo)
    · IBM ThinkPad R31 2656 (Celeron, 1.13 GHz, 14.1 in. display, 128 MB RAM, CD-ROM)

I assume you know the Apple iBook is a different platform, so you wouldn't want that one unless you already were using Apple, in which case that would be the one you'd want.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Whatever you do, don't get a Compaq :(

5. ruffnredy

ruffnredy

6. r_khan

r_khan Thread Starter

haha....why not? i heard they sell the most desktop and laptops.

7. r_khan

r_khan Thread Starter

yes. i apple computer.

8. r_khan

r_khan Thread Starter

allright i checked out the sites and i am leaning towards the Sony VAIo and the Fujitsu Lifebook....but again....there are soooo many s ...i don't knwo which ones to chose. please help. again..its for educational, gaming, music purposes...im not gonna make movies on it or something.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Quantity doesn't mean Quality ;)

10. r_khan

r_khan Thread Starter

true but still... why?

also...what is better...fujistu or sony?

11. zeddy

zeddy

The dellX300 is a nice lightweight portable.

12. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

For a college laptop, you may want to try Sharps PCMM10 or PCMM20 http://www.sharpsystems.com/products/pc_notebooks/
    They don't have a large hard drive, but they are great laptops.
    Plus they come with a docking station that you can hook up USB to any Windows computer and backup information to a larger drive.
    This feature is amazing if Windows crashes and you don't want to go through XCOPY in DOS to save files. You can just hook the computer up as an external hard drive to copy your files over.
    These laptops are also very very small and only weigh 2 pounds.
    This is what I used in college (the MM10 that is) and I wouldn't have traded it for any other laptop out there.
    I still have it, it only has 1GHz processor, but it runs better / faster than my 2.8GHz desktop.

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Whatever laptop you get, my backup choice would be a USB 2.0 hard disk, it takes minutes instead of days to do a complete backup. :)

14. Jakbrud

Jakbrud

I personally own a Dell Inspiron 1150 and i like it, it runs good and is inexpensive. I also generally hear good things about Sony

15. Dilgerman

Dilgerman

the cheapest ibook is the 12in 1ghz now for $1000 with the education discount. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE EDUCATION DISCOUNT. you said you wanted a 40gb hard drive so you can upgrade it from 30gb to 40 for only $22.

this laptop is a powerhouse for graphic/video/processing with a great price. cant go wrong with a mac

the 14in ibooks start at $1199 and comes with:
    1GHz PowerPC G4
    512K L2 cache @ 1GHz
    14-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    256MB DDR266 SDRAM
    40GB Ultra ATA drive
    Combo Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    32MB DDR video memory
    AirPort Extreme ready

the only thing more you said you might want is a dvd burner which is an add-on for $200. at that price you can afford to get the best ibook for about $1400 after teh education discount.

the $1400 ibook has:
    1.2GHz PowerPC G4
    512K L2 cache @ 1GHz
    14-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    256MB DDR266 SDRAM
    60GB Ultra ATA drive
    Combo Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    32MB DDR video memory
    AirPort Extreme built-in

this last apple computer is a great deal. i have been a pc user all of my life, and now i long for the day where i dont have to worry about virus's or my system crashing or even having to worry about my ram. ha. i havnt yet switched to apple but when i do, heaven's angels will rejoice for God himself owns a mac.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/229779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice