HELP! Can’t System Restore, Defrag, nor Format. Can someone help?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Peter1929

I am running WXP Home, SP2 on a desktop.

Recently I found System Restore not working. It would neither restore to an earlier time nor create a new restore point. I tried doing a virus scan using Avast, rebooting, checking that it is (supposed to be) running and safe mode.

Disconnecting from the Internet and turning off antivirus and firewall also made no difference.

I also turned it off and on again. I noticed that initially it said it was monitoring drives C, D & E but after turning on again it only showed drives C & D. These drives are all partitions on my HD.

On checking E I found that it had no file system and was advised to format it. On attempting this I got “Format did not complete successfully”.

I also attempted to Defrag and got “Disk Defragmenter could not start.”

Does anyone know what is going on and how to correct it?

Best, Peter.

I am hoping that your operating system is still working. I never had very much of a great result with system restore. I think I had got it to work twice. Are you just trying to get it to work or do you have to have roll back to a earlier date?

I usually use MyDefrag to do my defrag. Do you have three hard drives or three partitions? Are you trying to format through window disk management?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online