1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP, can I network 2 CPU's and HOW?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Currentriver, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Currentriver

Currentriver Thread Starter

I'm a novice at this, but I just came into acquiring another tower and I would like to be able to access both of my current tower from my 1 keyboard, my 1 mouse and my 1 monitor.

Can I also attach a phone line to both and decide which I want to use. Same goes for my one printer.

Please tell me a step by step way to hook this up. What additional wires or connects do I need. Both are PII's, one 450MHZ and the other 266MHZ tower desktops. Many thanks!

Steve

2. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

To control 2 towers from one keyboard,mouse and monitor,you need a "KVM" device.TigerDirect has one on sale right now for about $30 /plus shipping.
    http://tigerdirect.com

But that is not a network...
    If you want to have the 2 computers connected to each other for file sharing(a network),there are simple ways to do this,one way is to use Windows Direct-Cable Connection.This is a part of the operating system that you can add and configure if you have the Windows Disk available.This type of connection requires a cable running from one computer to the other.You can use either a serial-2-serial cable,or a parallel-2-parallel cable.Most retailers that have networking equipment have these available (like BestBuy).Personally,I prefer the parallel type.
    Many other methods of creating a simple network for file sharing are available.I use PCanywhere software and a parallel-2-parallel cable setup,and it works perfectly for file sharing between 2 computer towers.

3. hammerbill

hammerbill

We will have to know your operating system and whether or not you have network cards attached. Yes, you can do these things. The way you describe what you want, it may be a bit more complicated than a simple home network.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice