1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP>>>> can I run win98 Setuo w/out wiping...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nutech12, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nutech12

Nutech12 Thread Starter

HELP>>>>

Can I run win98 Setup from the CDROM at boot (startup) w/out wiping out the data on the HD w/ win98 on it?

:confused:

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

yes.

3. Nutech12

Nutech12 Thread Starter

reall quick... so, when it says I have an operating sytem on the drive, just proceed, and accept to re-install?

4. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

i usually make a backup and only choose to install the operating system but leave the other files. this method once screwd up my computer. i would just say save any good data to another volume and then reformat and reinstall. why would u want to reinstall, is your system messed up. if so just tell us whats amatter and we here will fix it up.

5. Nutech12

Nutech12 Thread Starter

thks, I have actually had a few other posts all seemingly related to this. I have updated my tower.. (don't laugh) from a PII 300 3.2GB HD, to a PII 633 celeron w/ a 10GB HD.

Yesterday, I slaved my 3.2GB drive to the newer 10GB, and then I decided to put back the 3.2 gb drive back to the older tower and export all my settings from outlook 2000 i.e calender, contacts, accounts, mail boxes etc... and then put it back to the newer 10GB.

that is where I ran ibnto a brick wall! my 3.2 gb wghcih used to be a Primary drive.. now with the jumpers correctly set, cannot boot passed "update dmi information."

Thats about it. I had read somewhere on te net that if I was to re-install win98, it would also fix the boot area on that same drive.

thks again

6. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

yes win98 setup should fix things up. make sure the harddrive you are installing 98 to is formatted and ready for setup.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice