1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help: Can't boot from BIOS, Needed to change to UEFI, on computer I use every day!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by finnman1, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. finnman1

finnman1 Thread Starter

Asus G73sw Laptop that I have used every day for the last 2 years.

So, I got the message: "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device, press any key" so I tried another working HDD that has windows 7 on it; same message. I took apart the computer and checked the connections and cables. One time, during the constant restarts with other HDDs, I got the message "A Disk Read Error Occured." When I entered the BIOS menu, It recognized the HDD. Also, on the Easy Flash, I could see that HDD and its files.

Finally was able to load windows with UEFI mode. I am unaware what this is, but I assume it will work for now?? I have made no updates to windows 7, installed no drivers or programs recently, and am unsure why BIOS won't load any of my HDDs to windows, when BIOS clearly sees it.

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thanks

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you cannot take a hd with windows already installed and put it in another system then expect it to boot. Not going to happen unless the two systems have very similar or identical hardware.
    This allows windows boot mgr to take over the boot process. This is not the only difference; there are many. UEFI uses GPT table, can address larger hd, and a lot more. Here is an article that explains uefi in more depth;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

3. finnman1

finnman1 Thread Starter

Thanks Crjdriver!

I presume that continuing to boot with UEFI mode will be okay. Not sure why it failed after 2 years of use using factory BIOS settings, but I sure hope it doesn't have an issue now that I'm using UEFI.

If this fails, and it doesn't want to boot, is there an option other than wiping the drive and so on? I only have one computer, so...

THanks

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First and foremost is to make a backup of anything important ie docs, data files, videos, etc. Data you do not backup is data you do not care about AND you should expect to lose the data.

Along with a file backup, I would make an image of the drive. If you have to replace the drive, it takes all of 5~10min to restore the image. Done. I use and recommend acronis true image for this task however there are free programs that do this as well; clonezilla is one of them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice