1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help, cant format past 11%

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AdrianB, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AdrianB

AdrianB Thread Starter

Hi all,

As I the title says I cant format my hard drive past 11%?

The drive is making a slightly strange spinning noise but just hangs at 11%, does any one have any idea of why this should happen or is the hard drive broken?

Thanks in advance :confused:

2. mobo

mobo

Can you try fisking the drive first to blow away partitions and if that doesn't work then try the Powermax utility and be sure to read the how to first.

3. mobo

mobo

Also this product will do an excellent job of wiping your drive as well..

4. AdrianB

AdrianB Thread Starter

Thanks for the help so far. The Powermax program has found an error with the 'Run SMART self test' error code S57 but I don't really know what this means?

After this I used the Maxtor program to erase the data. I then went back to the Windows 2000 installation format but this time it stopped at 27%

Any more ideas

5. mobo

mobo

You diagnosed an error the erased the data and during the ntfs format it stalls.

Try the diagnostic again..

6. AdrianB

AdrianB Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I think I'm getting a bit confused though. I select advanced test (Full scan test) from the menu in the maxtor program. Everything passes except the Run SMART self test which gives the error code S57 and says to report the error to Maxtor via the internet.

When I come out of this scan and go back to windows install/format NTFS it stalls at 27% and makes that scratching sound again it used to make at 11%

Any more suggestions on where to go from here?

7. mobo

mobo

According to this from Maxtor. your drive may be on its last legs my friend.

8. AdrianB

AdrianB Thread Starter

Oh dear looks like I need a new hard drive! Thanks for your help motherboard much appreciated.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice