1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! can't get past Start Up screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by clenny, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. clenny

clenny Thread Starter

Hello. Well last night I downloaded the latest Microsoft updates, most of which were security patches. So I don't know if it's related but today when i start up my machine it gets hung at the start up screen. I've tried to start up several times. This time I'm still waiting after 20 minutes but it just won't budge beyond the StartUp screen, you know the one that tells you what operating system it is. Any suggestions as to what to do?

2. MaDKiWi

MaDKiWi

Can you boot into safe mode? If you can then yes somewhere your security updates have messed something in which case youll have to perform a system restore, or format. What operating system do you have BTW?

3. clenny

clenny Thread Starter

I booted into Safe mode. Not that I knew what to do once I got there. I did it just to see if I could, so yes. I'm running Windows 2000 Professional. When I boot into safe mode, what should I do then?

4. MaDKiWi

MaDKiWi

well... to be honest i hadnt thought of that one myself, when you do, go to the add-remove programs section and see if you can remove the W2k fixes on there, if so, delete them all and see if the problem continues. If you still have the problem, a fresh install or recovery install of win2k will probably be the only option. Im happy to hear any other opinions, now i know that the only ones that seem to ave these problems are w2k machines

5. clenny

clenny Thread Starter

When I boot into safe mode and choose safe mode this is what I get:
    multi(0) disk(0)rdisk (0) partition (1) \WINNT\fonts\vgaeom.fon
    multi(0)disj(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT\System32\DRIVERS\ACPI.sys and so on
    What is this? I can't do anything with this. I'd love to reinstall but i don't have the disk that came with the puter. What do I do? Microsucks. I don't have these kind of problems with my Mac.

6. HexStar

HexStar Guest

Just wait for your system to load. When those messages are displayed, wait for a while, in like 10 minutes you'll be in Safe Mode or sooner.

7. clenny

clenny Thread Starter

Well I tried waiting. I booted up while pressing F8. I chose safe mode. I got a screen full of text instead of the normal safe mode screen. I waited as was suggested. I've waited an hour. I'm still waiting and nothing is happening. It doesn't go into safe mode. So what do I do next? This ticks me off. It was Microsoft's update that did this, not any action on my part except trusting them and downloading the updates. I've had a Windows computer since August and already I've had more issues with it than I've had with my imac that I've had since early 2000. geeeez

8. downtime

downtime

As soon as it gets to the start up screen, hit ctrl+alt+del twice. It should bring up a logon screen. Then try to log on as administrator.

9. clenny

clenny Thread Starter

Okay, I hit ctrl+alt+del twice like you said. It just hung there, nothing happened. I thought maybe I misunderstood so i tried to boot into safe mode. When I got there I hit ctrl+alt+del twice. that took me back to the start up screen. None of this seems to be working. What now? I'm totally frustrated. I've basically got a useless box sitting on my desk.

10. clenny

clenny Thread Starter

Can someone just please tell me how i can get a hold of a W2K disk so I can just do a reinstall, repair or whatever. I really don't have the patience for this BS.

11. keebs

keebs

well when u go in safe mode try to look for a System Restore In Programs > Accessores > System Tools > and System Restore and restore the computer to the date that it automaticly saved and it should work any questions please feel free to email me at [email protected] hope this works cya =] -keEbS

12. clenny

clenny Thread Starter

Okay, When i got to safe mode this time, I chose last known configuration and I managed to log in and bring up the desk top. I went to accessories/system tools but there is no system restore option. Could it possibly be called something else? I'm going to shut down and restart to see what happens.

13. clenny

clenny Thread Starter

Well I restarted it and it started up without any problems this time so I guess it's ok now. I won't be downloading any updates anytime soon. I'm still critical of Windows although I understand that all OSes have their pecularities and are different, each having its advantages and disadvantages. I can only say I've experienced more issues with Windows in a shorter amount of time than I've had with Unix based OSes like Linux and Mac OS X. Thanks to everyone that made suggestions, I appreciate it and have learned a few things I can add to my computer knowledge repertoire.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice