Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! Can't Install Any Antivirus Sofware!

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  kanaitpro 
#1 ·
So I'm freeballing, so to speak. I kept getting the "Chrome is out of date" message, however when I attempted to upgrade I was able to download the .exe file but it would never run. No error messages or anything, it just wouldn't do it. So my first thought was "turn it off, then turn it back on". First rule of maintenance. So I uninstalled, and attempted to reinstall. No dice. I thought maybe it was a Chrome thing, so I tried Firefox. Didn't work either! I browsed enough forums to be able to get Firefox to install (I have no idea what method finally worked) because I can't live with IE for more than about 15 minutes. Whilst doing all this stuff, I noticed that my version of AVG was way outdated. So I attempted to upgrade. Of course, it wouldn't install. This time I started getting a "another install is currently in progress" message. Which it wasn't! So I restarted and all that jazz, still nothing. So I was like, forget AVG, I'm gonna give Avira a try. Which was stupid, because that meant uninstalling AVG and then attempting to install Avira, which obviously wouldn't work since I've been having trouble installing anything!!! With the Avira install I get errors alternating between "another install in progress" and another "0x80070652" code. And another stating that I'm missing a .dll. I've tried everything that could possibly help on the Microsoft website, and then some. Since I can't install anything, I went ahead and tried to clean up my disk. I deleted several files, uninstalled some stuff I no longer use, and did a defrag. I even took my laptop apart and sprayed it out!! But to no avail. Please help me!
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8139 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, -250 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 681 GB (541 GB Free); D: 16 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1802
Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2014, Disabled

See less See more
#2 ·
What's the model name and complete model number of that HP laptop?
What's the exact product number and serial number on it?

We have no idea how you use and maintain that laptop, but it's pretty obvious that you're having several issues with its Windows 7 operating system.
A reinstall and fresh start may be your best option.

-------------------------------------------------------------

#3 ·
It's an HP Pavillion Dv7. I don't have the product/serial number with me, but I bought it in 2010 and haven't had any problems at all (except for a virus years ago that was entirely my fault). And I use it mostly for the Office programs for school work, and some Netflixing and general browsing. A small amount of online shopping too. I saw something online about doing a refresh, which read like it just uninstalls/reinstalls the OS, but I couldn't figure out how to do it without losing my data...would I need to back everything up to a cloud, or is there another way to go about it?

#4 ·
A dash and additional characters after dv7 comprises the complete model number - which will be on a label on the bottom of the case.
The product number and serial number will also be on a label on the bottom of the case.

If you have personal data(documents, photos, music, etc.) in that laptop that you don't want to lose, you need to back it up to some reliable external media.
If the Windows operating system completely crashes or if the hard drive fails, you'll lose it all.

I'm pretty much of an Internet Explorer user, so I can't comment on any issues with Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.