1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! Can't install Critical Updates/Win 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mwright7317, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mwright7317

mwright7317 Thread Starter

I've been having Spyware problems. I d/l'd AdAware and successfully found and removed spyware. I've also used Spybot Search & Destroy. The problem is, it seems to keep installing somehow. Now I am unable to install the most recent Critical Update for IE. It appears to d/l the file, but it will not install. I have also downloaded Hijack this and have run it, but I am a damsel in distress ... need help and advice ... pleeeeease !! I am running the most current version of Micro Trend PC-cillin and update and scan regularly and also have the firewall enabled.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

What seems to keep installing somehow and how do you know it does?

Likely the spyware would have nothing to do with you not being able to download critical Updates. You can only get updates using Internet Explorer (IE).

Empty the contents of the C:\Windows\Cookies; Temp and Temporary Internet Files folders and, clear your browsers cache - with IE open Select "Tools | Internet Options..." from the main menu Change to the "General" tab
    Click on "Delete Files" button | click the Delete Cookies button, each in turn. Close then restart IE.

3. mwright7317

Thank you for your response.

It seems like I get the cookies and temp files deleted and the browser runs better for awhile, but the more I use it, the slower it gets, until finally, some pages won't load properly and sometimes I can't access the pages I'm trying to access (like my work webmail or hotmail for example). Initially I thought my browser had been hijacked and that was what prompted me to try AdAware and Spybot.

I didn't know if an adjusted security setting or the firewall could be causing problems with Windows Update. I tried running it with the firewall and antivirus disabled, but it still fails to install. I can see the file downloading, but then then it just seems to stop and the installation fails. I found some MS Bulletins which described adjusting some ActiveX settings, but that didn't work. I also found a bulletin which suggested some applications that may interfere with Windows Update, but I'm not running any of those.

Any other suggestions?

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Likely, if it's Sygate firewall, it's not causing problems. The security settings may be too high on your IE browser. Nor the anti-virus, leave them enabled!

Open Internet Explorer (IE); Tools menu; Internet Options; Advanced tab; Click the Restore Defaults button; Click Apply; Click Ok. Close IE.

Open (IE); Click the Tools menu; Point to Internet Options; Click the Security tab; Click the Default Level button; Click Apply; Click Ok. Close IE.

Open IE; Click the Tools menu; Internet Options; Click the Security tab; Click the Custom Level button; Click Apply; Click Ok. Close IE. Start IE as desired.
    Ok.

Internet Explorer 5.x/6.x comes with a repair tool. To use it, go to the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel; Scroll and click to highlight 'Microsoft Internet Explorer 5/6.x' in the Install/Uninstall window; Then click on the Add/Remove button; Select 'Repair' the current installation of Internet Explorer radio button; Click on OK. Restart your computer when prompted.

5. mwright7317

I completed everything listed above. IE was not able to repair itself and I got a message to run the setup, which I did. I was then able to install the March 7 Microsoft Security Patch.

However, I'm still unable to install: October 2003, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB828750). It does the same thing as before. It appears to download, or at least begin to download the patch, but it will not install.

Any other suggestions?

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Instead of trying to repair IE in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel, choose to "Restore the previous windows configuration." Then restart your computer and go back into the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel and choose to "Restore the previous windows configuration" until you can go back no further.

Then get all the Critical Updates and Patches from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

7. mwright7317

Ok, I've done what is described above, and it did run a previous Critical Update, but I still am unable to install the Oct. patch for IE 6. I got a message to rerun the setup file, which I did do. My browser seems to be working better overall, but still no luck with the most recent Security patch.

8. Styxx

Styxx Banned

What Operating System are you using?

Then just forget the target patch you describe. I've experienced this, that some patches don't appear to install after all possible solutions. One resolution is to e-mail MS and complain but move on.

Some people even waste additional time learning howw to clear the update log which lets you reinstall patches. Do at your own risk.

9. Styxx

Styxx Banned

10. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Describe exactly what tells you that you can not install this OCT update patch please?

11. mwright7317

It says that it failed to install, to try again.

I'm running Win 98 SE.

I did read about clearing the update log, but I think before I tried that, I'd just back it all up and reinstall Win 98 ... although I really hate to do that if I don't have to.

12. mwright7317

Sorry, I wasn't very clear with that. Right on the Win CU update page, normally where it says the installation was successful, I get a RED X that says the installation failed and to try again.

13. mwright7317

Not All Updates Were Installed

The following items failed to install. To try installing them again, click Review and install updates, and then click Install Now again.

October 2003, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB828750)

14. Styxx

Styxx Banned

it might be that Netsconic Accelerator or your anti-virus are interfering. You might try temporarily disabling (or uninstalling and restarting your computer) your anti-virus' Real-Time scanner before the upgrade.

What anti-virus are you using?

15. Styxx

Styxx Banned

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice